Looking to find land tour to Cairns and Ayers Rock before cruise in Sydney in Jan. 20

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes we have 8 states in Australia and numerous territories, but only if you count New Zealand North and South.😛

More than happy to be part of NZ N & S, especially if we can claim their PM!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

I too noticed this and also felt saddened.  But, I've discovered that there really is not a great deal known about our country overseas, especially in the US.  By way of making my point, a recent poster commented on how until reading this forum, they were unaware that Australia was divided into States and thought we were one huge homogeneous mass. I thought that was sad too.

I think Ularu is more of an internal PC rename due to the land being given back to the native Aussies.It's not really emphasised as being that important to us guys "overseas".I noticed a couple of you guys called it Ayers Rock also.Cheers,Brian.PS,sorry but I couldn't spell indigythingy.

I too noticed this and also felt saddened.  But, I've discovered that there really is not a great deal known about our country overseas, especially in the US.  By way of making my point, a recent poster commented on how until reading this forum, they were unaware that Australia was divided into States and thought we were one huge homogeneous mass. I thought that was sad too.

I think Ularu is more of an internal PC rename due to the land being given back to the native Aussies.It's not really emphasised as being that important to us guys "overseas".I noticed a couple of you guys called it Ayers Rock also.Cheers,Brian.PS,sorry but I couldn't spell indigythingy.

14 hours ago, brian1 said:

It's Uluru, and such indigythingy words can be located on Google if you get stuck again.  Our native Aussies are the very dignified and often maligned Aboriginal peoples.  BTW, it is not an internal PC rename, it has never completely been renamed as such, being officially known as Uluru / Ayres Rock.  In addition, it is a UNESCO World Hertiage Site, so I imagine it does have importance to some guys overseas.

Its officially under a dual named site. Uluru/Ayers Rock. The resort is still named Ayers Rock Resort and it is in a township called Yulara just outside of the National Park. Too many Australians grew up knowing the name Ayers Rock so it had to stay otherwise generations would be confused as to what it was. Its kind of hard to erase history so the dual naming has worked. Even around the site and the resort there are still many references to the name Ayers Rock. The name Uluru is just that, it has no translation in the native language and is nothing more than a name they gave it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYTK0YoFWmU/

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Uluru is a place name not just for the rock but for the area.

The rock they named Uluru, the other site to the west was named Kata Tjuta (many heads). Mutitjulu is the name of the area and community surrounding Uluru, Yulara is the town to the north and the entire national park is named Uluru/Kata Tjuta national Park which Yulara is not inside of. Uluru is the name of the rock. Having said that if Uluru was hollow and in some science-fiction fantasy world you could pick it up and move it you could easily cover the entire Sydney CBD buildings and all from Opera House to Central Station and Darling Harbour to Botanic Gardens. The whole rock is taller than any of the skyscrapers in both Sydney and Melbourne. It is massive, so yes it is a massive area to be named Uluru.

Edited by Brisbane41

It seems I might be exonerated then.Even the Aussie government can't decide what to call it,so gave it 2 names.I agree ,they should have gone the whole hog and called it Uluru,instead of keeping the name of some poncy pom who probably never saw the place.

Edited by brian1

7 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

It's Uluru, and such indigythingy words can be located on Google if you get stuck again.  Our native Aussies are the very dignified and often maligned Aboriginal peoples.  BTW, it is not an internal PC rename, it has never completely been renamed as such, being officially known as Uluru / Ayres Rock.  In addition, it is a UNESCO World Hertiage Site, so I imagine it does have importance to some guys overseas.

Even the Aboriginal word you used is debatable.Our guide said the word is indigenous.Some native Aussies are offended by both words.Who knows,lol.I'm only the pom walking around with a silly hat on.

Edited by brian1

27 minutes ago, brian1 said:

It seems I might be exonerated then.Even the Aussie government can't decide what to call it,so gave it 2 names.I agree ,they should have gone the whole hog and called it Uluru,instead of keeping the name of some poncy pom who probably never saw the place.

It has the two names to respect the history out there. As I said you can't erase history and there are many relevant and interesting stories about the area that relate to European explorers and the contemporary time period that things were named. The government was aware of this at the time and felt it important.

It also helps not to offend the Aboriginal people when people describe how Ayers Rock was formed by erosion and upheaval of the earth. The Aboriginal people get offended when it is suggested that Uluru is a geological formation and that the markings on it are of erosion and not from creationism or creator beings or giants which they think is true of their own history. That way it enables information to be conveyed that is relevant and important from a scientific perspective opposed to a spiritual or religions perspective to which Uluru sticks to.