European Travel SIM Card

ItsOnlyUs

Anybody use a European SIM card / data plan that they loved? The ones on Amazon have very mixed reviews and there seem to be a TON of options. I'd like to be able to order them ahead of time so we can research and setup ahead of time (and understand the plan so our kids know what they can & cannot do).

We are a family of 5 that all have AT&T and iPhones that can be unlocked. The international day pass for 20 days x 5 would be insane, and I explored pocket MIFI's but the throttling and slow speeds seem to be a deal breaker. My husband and I need to be able to keep connected to our businesses during a 3 week trip, and we have several long train rides / airport layovers that our kids will be bored out of their skulls without something to do! I'd like to be able to text one another on the same plan, and be accessible to tour guides, etc. We will be traveling to the Netherlands, Belgium, UK, France, Spain, Portugal, and Monaco (cruise) and then spending a week in Italy.  

I know there are a few similar threads from a while back, but just thought I'd check in and see if there are any recent positive or negative experiences that you all could share.

Thank you SOOOOO much in advance!
Stephanie

Edited by ItsOnlyUs

The international day pass for 20 days x 5 would be insane, 

undoubtedly ...... but what about their 'monthly' plan which I presume they have

with Ver' I can turn on international access for 1 month ... does not have to be activated forever ..... if not clear on their web sites call and talk to a people .....

and it was not unusual to find free wifi in hotels and airports just like in the US

Edited by Capt_BJ

I used to use UK's 3 plan and Orange Mundo sim card for traveling in Europe. Mundo starts charging maintenance fee so I stopped using it. I still keep UK's 3 sim card. You can top up when you need to use it. Buy add-on when you need to use it. 5GB for £15 is what I usually get. Most of the time I am only getting 3G speed.

Now I just use Google Fi, $20/line + $10/GB data. I get full LTE speed and cap at $60 Max per month. I don't need to worry about overcharge and I can pause the plan when I come back to the States.

https://fi.google.com/about/international-rates/

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 4.02.53 PM.png

Edited by thetaro