GSM Cell phone service in Japan

nomadguy

Cruising in Japan with Princess in June followed by another 5 days sightseeing in Kyoto and Tokyo. I read that Japan uses the CDMA network (Verizon in USA). Our phones are on the GSM network (AT&T). We have an international day pass, What's App, and Skype capabilities but are concerned about the lack of voice and data capabilities with our phones. We inquired at two AT&T store but we have more knowledge then the help! Apparently a local SIM card wont work? Is there a place to buy a burner phone or other options? I need to be reachable by phone for personal business reasons. 

Instead of the AT&T store where they have salespeople, look at their website.  If you're still not sure, call them and ask for the link on their website to assure that the phone rep is telling you accurate information.

I've not personally looked or used  this service (the free unlimited data that comes with our T-Mobile plan is more than sufficient for us), but others in our roll call have found easy solutions including SIM cards and rental phones (return at the airport when you head home).  General information here.

For those who have opted for rental phones, Sakura is the company that is mentioned and recommended repeatedly.  I've read repeatedly that this company runs Semi-frequent sales. 

Were it me and having phone service was really critical, I'd be asking this question on the Japan trip advisor forum to at least Have a plan B.  (then I'd probably be looking for another job that recognizes that I'm entitled to Time off. 😏)

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Thanks 1

OP, what is your current hardware/smartphone in use on AT&T and is it sim unlocked ?? (newer iPhone or Androids like Samsung or Nexus/Pixel/LG/Moto, etc.)  ... although, it might not have the optimal & compatible CDMA radio bands on the Japanese telecom networks, i.e. DoCoMo or SoftBank, among the largest.  

Another option is to rent, on arrival into Japan, a MiFi/WiFi portable hotspot, pre-delivered ahead to your hotel, and you can dropped it off on your way home at the airport counter or in a mailbox.  Bring or rent an extra USB powerbank to keep the device "live" all day & you can share & tether, usually 3 to 5 devices at any given time - instead of renting a smartphone or dealing with AT&T's Int'l Travel Pass, as that is "hardware" dependent.  

This link would give you a better idea to compare & choose from:

https://jcrcorp.com/

Scroll down mid-page with info for visitors planning a trip ... 

https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/

Also, here ... for visitors

https://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/special/service-for-traveler/en/

Sidenote: we have a line on Google Fi, with unlimited home calling & texting, and full 4G LTE data coverage in 200 countries when we travel (roam at the same data rate as "home") and calls for 20 cents a minute abroad, when WiFi and VoIP calling isn't available or allowed - if you cruise & travel on a regular basis, it's worth looking into (using T-Mobile & partner's network, along with AT&T and USCC in rural US areas) ... it is NOT for data hogs or those that stream a lot, but there is a data cap, otherwise - our average monthly bill is about $40 USD only.  

Advantage of our "Fi" service on a single line - we have 3 ("free") additional nano-data only sim cards, which we use as a WiFi hotspot, one used in a dual-sim global smartphone for WiFi/VoIP calling, and one in an 4G-LTE iPad mini/tablet, only paying for extra data use when needed while on a trip.  Downside is that it does NOT work on any cruise ships while at sea, but as soon as we are within 1 to 3 miles on a foreign port, we are usually "connected" & welcomed to the partner's cellular network, catching up on email, news & messaging/calls, etc.  

I am hopeless with technology and also from Australia so my comments may be totally useless to you however I will tell what I know for others.

I have a Samsung 7 edge which Mr Google tells me is a GSM 4G LTE Android smartphone.

Many years ago ie well over 10 years when I first travelled to Japan the phone I was using in Australia was not compatible with Japan and USA.  I was told that Japan and USA were on the same network which was not compatible with our phones.

The last 6 ish years I have been able to use whichever Aussie phone I was currently using. I have used the same phone with no problems in USA Canada and Europe too.  

Here I have been told that these days phones will work everywhere.

Check out cruise port navigation which is a company owned by Heather Hopkins Clement who was previously the cruise port lecturer on the diamond princess cruises around Japan.    Heather has SIM cards and portable wifi plans.  She also has english speaking guides in many cities around Japan.