Dlx Bev Pkg - Beer capped or open?

It's been about 20 years since I've on an RC cruise and back then it was just my wife and I in an ocean view cabin that we never even looked out of.  We'd never make it back to the cabin until the wee hours.

Now with a family, it strikes me that a nice way to end the day might be to have a beer or two sitting on our balcony before bed.

If I happen to pass by a bar or pub during the day, would it be unusual to ask for an unopened beer so that I could stockpile a few in my room for the evening?

Or are the bartenders under strict orders to open the beverages to prevent sharing?

Thanks!

We've had some luck in the pub using the Royal soft sided cooler they tend to sell for their bucket of beers on the pool deck - no idea if they still sell that or not though - but we were usually able to get them capped on ice as we wanted a better beer than available on the pool deck.  They did this discreetly though.  I'd recommend asking at different bars when not busy and see if you can tip for such service, then keep using that bar/server though know they may change their tune mid-week if anyone says anything.

10 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

We've had some luck in the pub using the Royal soft sided cooler they tend to sell for their bucket of beers on the pool deck - no idea if they still sell that or not though - but we were usually able to get them capped on ice as we wanted a better beer than available on the pool deck.  They did this discreetly though.  I'd recommend asking at different bars when not busy and see if you can tip for such service, then keep using that bar/server though know they may change their tune mid-week if anyone says anything.

Did you have the Deluxe Beverage package or did you buy the beers outside of the package?

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Did you have the Deluxe Beverage package or did you buy the beers outside of the package?

Good question - that cruise was before they offered the DBP so we paid as we went.  This cruise with the DBP we either enjoyed draft beer in Playmakers or didn't order beer to go and stuck with mixed drinks - they don't often have ones I want to drink 🙂

1 minute ago, ShillyShally said:

Good question - that cruise was before they offered the DBP so we paid as we went.  This cruise with the DBP we either enjoyed draft beer in Playmakers or didn't order beer to go and stuck with mixed drinks - they don't often have ones I want to drink 🙂

They really don't care about opening the beer if you are purchasing outside of a package because they don't care if you share then.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

They really don't care about opening the beer if you are purchasing outside of a package because they don't care if you share then.

That was what i thought when you asked - makes complete sense. 

OP - if you are just paying as you go you shouldn't have a problem!

Depends on the bartender. I've had some success bring back un-opened beer back to the room for later consumption.  Other times, I've been denied.   I say I probably have a 60-70% success rate.

I'm usually upfront with the bartender & tell them I like to have a beer or two on the balcony while my DW gets ready for dinner. Of course, this is usually at 4-5 in the afternoon, not 10 am so they have no reason to not believe me.

• Like 1