Why Carnival?

mkcurran

On 4/3/2019 at 9:57 AM, crzndeb said:

Since I saw you posted this on Royal board also, I’m assuming it is between them and Carnival. I sail on both lines. I haven’t sailed on Carnival since 2016, since their itineraries I had pretty much been there, done that. I find them more alike, and I think it has to do with the ship. I would take a newer Carnival ship over an older RCI ship, but an older RCI ship for itinerary. Everything is pretty much a flight for me, so my focus is on itineraries now.

Since I am a solo traveler, I usually book interiors, but I have had balconies on both lines. I much prefer the sliding balcony doors on Royal compared to the ones on Carnival.

On RCI, I get double points for days sailed and a single deposit. At 340 points, I get 150% solo supplement (doubt I will get there). Don’t get any of this on Carnival. I prefer the perks on RCI (3 1/2 hours of drinks every night trumps anything Carnival offers IMHO). Of course, others may prefer Carnival perks. Plus, you only need 80 points to reach Diamond. I will finally get there this year on Carnival, but it has taken me 7 years...LOL

On some of the Carnival ships, I like the free variety of choices for lunch. I think the entertainment is better on RCI, especially the ships with Broadway shows.

I don’t gamble or go to comedy shows, so can’t comment on that.

I don’t consider either cruise line great, but I do have fun on both lines. For me, I get bored with the SOS on one cruise line, so I like to mix it up. I will be doing a B2B on the Splendor (Mexico/TP) this year, and then hopping on an RCI ship for a B2B to see Thailand. Next year, I will try my first MSC cruise before getting on the Legend for their last Med and TA.

I say take a chance and broaden your horizons. But I wouldn’t come to a conclusion about a cruise line after one cruise. Cruise lines and cruise ships are not created equal, even within their own brand.

You will love the Splendor, she is a wonderful ship. The deli is the best for lunch, and the BBQ place on 10 aft is a nice quiet place to grab lunch on the first day. There's a "secret" deck on 10/panorama deck at the front that's great for watching sail-aways. 

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. At this point it's actually between Carnival and Celebrity and very dependent on how the Southwest fares look for Thanksgiving and the week after.  

Like you, everything will be a flight regardless, so the options are endless. I just wish that more airlines offered something other than red-eye flights to the cruise port areas around here. Southwest is the only one offering day time flights at the moment.

Something strikes me as I read this. There are the creatures of habit and the adventurers. I'm a creature of habit. As many who responded to this post have said, Carnival was the first line they cruised, fell in love with cruising so they stuck with Carnival. That's me. I'm impressed by the people who get out there, do their research and try all different cruise lines. I think about checking out other lines, but always get sucked in by a Carnival deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkcurran said:

You will love the Splendor, she is a wonderful ship. The deli is the best for lunch, and the BBQ place on 10 aft is a nice quiet place to grab lunch on the first day. There's a "secret" deck on 10/panorama deck at the front that's great for watching sail-aways. 

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. At this point it's actually between Carnival and Celebrity and very dependent on how the Southwest fares look for Thanksgiving and the week after.  

Like you, everything will be a flight regardless, so the options are endless. I just wish that more airlines offered something other than red-eye flights to the cruise port areas around here. Southwest is the only one offering day time flights at the moment.

I was on the Splendor back in 2009, so it’s been a while. I do love Indian food, so Tandoor is a plus for me. I’m sorry they don’t have an Alchemy Bar, since I do love an evening martini, but I’m sure I will find another spot.

I have a B2B Celebrity cruise around the Horn booked in March/2020, but will more than likely cancel. I still want to try Celebrity. I think I would try Celebrity. I have heard good things.