Autism Awareness & NCL- so impressed!

Advocate50

I will be on the Bliss soon with my family. My adult son is a high functioning autistic man. I received an email from NCL to let me know of additional services that are available for him, if needed. They can expedite checking if needed ( lines & sensory issues can be difficult with those with autism.) They can also accommodate muster drills as well. I was impressed that they have considered alternative options for making travel easier for the passenger and their families. I am impressed! The access desk is available to help with any situation that warrants further assistance. I appreciate NCL’s commitment to making travel a delight for all. Way to go!

• Like 10

My son is 28, and autistic.  We are sailing on the Bliss on 4/12.  I too have been impressed w/ the autism services.  If all works as the access desk has advised than NCL will be our new cruise line of choice.  Love that they will do a private muster drill.  DCL allows the autistic guest to stay in the room w/ one adult, which worked.  RC made us attend muster on Harmony, but on Allure last month let us sit outside the dining room and listen to the instructions and video.  Even so, super stressful wondering if we would be moved inside at the last minute.  The stress seriously impacted the first day of the cruise for me. 

BTW, the access desk was very helpful in regards to my DH's hearing loss also, so looking forward to a cabin equipped w/ devices for the hearing impaired.

Good luck from one mom to another.

• Like 1

I am a person with Autism and find that the expedited check in is a real big help  to get on the ship with minimal lines. Also the special needs team will come by about 15 min before muster.  They will advise to head down. If he is sensitive to loud noise bring earplugs as the alarm is loud

Just reading this.  My 15 year old grandson has Aspergers and due to my daughter not wanting ever to go cruising, is highly unlikely to ever go on a cruise.  But hats off to NCL for knowing the problems with autism and making efforts to make life easier for those passengers.

• Like 1

Our biggest concerns with our son are usually social, his interactions with others can be awkward. Some people get it, some don’t. Explaining to him to not talk to a girl at the hot tub if she is with a guy or to put his arm around her can be problematic( aka, Joe Biden! ) He means no harm, he just thinks he’s being friendly. 

I guess we all could use some lessons in social skills!

Still glad to know that NCL is making travel with kids/adults less stressful. It means the world to our families, right, Edspec? 

Just be kind.

Our family is going on the Spirit later this year and 2 of our sons are autistic.  Do I notify NCL or should my travel agent do it.  Having an expedited check in would be terrific.  On our last cruise we flew on Lufstansa and they knew of the disabilities.  They made check in wonderful.

Paul

Edited by pjo
Typo

Since you have a TA I would tell her to make NCL aware. I believe I noted it on the registration documents. They will also do a private muster drill in your room if you wish. I would certainly take advantage of the  expediated check in. Those lines, noise and lighting  can be a nightmare for our kids. Also contact the Access Desk for any additional assistance you may need.

Happy sailing.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:31 PM, Dmary0315 said:

Since you have a TA I would tell her to make NCL aware. I believe I noted it on the registration documents. They will also do a private muster drill in your room if you wish. I would certainly take advantage of the  expediated check in. Those lines, noise and lighting  can be a nightmare for our kids. Also contact the Access Desk for any additional assistance you may need.

Happy sailing.

Thank you for the advice.  I will be contacting my TA to advise NCL of the disabilities.

Paul

The first cruise we ever took was the Florida / Bahamas cruise on the GEM 13 years ago.   My daughter is a high functioning autistic person and at the time was 13 years old.   We wanted to let her and her brother have a little freedom so we let them sit separately from us in the auditorium during the evening show.    She was supposed to meet us at a certain spot after the show but wasn't there so I started to desperately search for her.   We couldn't find her and I was really starting to panic and asked one of the officers to help us -- he suggested that I check our cabin while he looked for her on the ship.   As I went into the cabin the phone was ringing and he had found her.    He was so wonderful about it -- he was so incredibly kind to her.    He then went out of his way for the entire rest of the trip to say hello to her when he saw her.    It made me think the world of NCL and their crew.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, pjo said:

Our family is going on the Spirit later this year and 2 of our sons are autistic.  Do I notify NCL or should my travel agent do it.  Having an expedited check in would be terrific.  On our last cruise we flew on Lufstansa and they knew of the disabilities.  They made check in wonderful.

Paul

I never trusted the travel agent to make the notification because then they would receive all of the communication.  We would receive an email late the night before boarding from the onboard access desk coordinator with the name and phone number of who we were supposed to call at the port for expedited arrival processing and in my daughter's case alternative boarding. There is a multipage access desk form that needs to be filled out and returned.  

Edited by sparkygirlfamily