Mariner OTS April 8-12. Live, but not...

Hi there! It’s officially pre cruise and I’m riding shotgun heading to Miami. I figured, what better time to post! 

Cruise details: This is my first trip with my boyfriend of 2 years that is just the two of us. We travel often, but it’s usually him tagging along with a work trip, family trips, or trips with friends. Two years in the making it is finally just us two!! My birthday was yesterday (April 6), so this cruise is a semi birthday trip/adult spring break. Man I miss the days of a given spring break, summer break, holiday break..We’re sailing on the Mariner out Miami and heading to Coco Cay and Nassau. Boyfriend (Brad) has never been to Nassau, I informed him he isn’t missing much, but he’s still excited. I’ve never sailed on a Mariner Class ship, most recently did the Freedom class, but I’ve heard there is hardly a difference. We have an interior deck 6 room. Tried to book a promenade, but we decided the noise might be annoying, plus nothing beats the sleeping darkness of an interior room (and the price!).   

(Below: our last cruise- Independence with family) 

7813BB2D-557C-4361-9E29-EFCE7B1920E2.jpeg

Pre-Cruise: Since I travel often with my job I’ve earned quite a bit of Marriott points. I’m using those points for our pre-Cruise hotel. I was going to use the lowest tier of points and book a simple  hotel, but then I had a Yolo moment and used almost all of my points towards the W in Brickell. The hotel has a 50th and 15th story pool! I guess using all of my points is better than letting them just sit there. The goal of today is to enjoy the pool, so we hit the road at 7am from Orlando and should be in Miami around lunch time. I’m so excited about this hotel! The concierge even emailed me yesterday to see if I had any special requests... talk about service.. cheapo typical me could get used to this...

We don’t  have an internet package on the ship because I love disconnecting (and cheap remember)... I’ll post boarding and such but then I won’t be back until post Cruise. 

If if anyone has any Mariner requests for me to take note of please let me know, and I’ll do my best to find them!! 

Fun extra note: Five minutes into the trip I realized I left my toothbrush. Whoops! Cvs here we come! 

To be continued....

Edited by barbiecruiser27

I would love the 4-1-1 on the night life. I love to dance the night away and am curious if the Mariner has a separate venue for the “nightclub” or if it is in the Viking Crown Lounge.

Any information about the after 10pm events would be greatly appreciated.

I love your frugal ways. I am the same way.

I am booked for the same sailing leaving May 20th. Can you possibly look out to see if they offer a drink card?  I don’t drink enough to get the drink package but would love to purchase a drink card.  I have seen them offered on 7 nights but since this is a 4 night I wonder if the sailing is too short. 

Thanks

11 hours ago, jalee7 said:

I love your frugal ways. I am the same way.

I am booked for the same sailing leaving May 20th. Can you possibly look out to see if they offer a drink card?  I don’t drink enough to get the drink package but would love to purchase a drink card.  I have seen them offered on 7 nights but since this is a 4 night I wonder if the sailing is too short. 

Thanks

We are on you sailing - May 20th. Can't wait

50 minutes ago, jalee7 said:

Was the skypad open? I heard it has been closed since the accident of the guy getting hurt. 

I was on this cruise. It was closed. Sounded like they’re getting rid of it. They called the night before my reservation and let me know it wouldn’t be available. 

1 hour ago, cmoore2004 said:

I was on this cruise. It was closed. Sounded like they’re getting rid of it. They called the night before my reservation and let me know it wouldn’t be available. 

Noooooo. I was looking forward to doing the skypad. Oh well safety first. Thanks for the response. 

25 minutes ago, SAmome said:

I'm curious as to how they are handling the UDP at places like Playmakers, JRs and Bamboo room with the new change to unlimited, if you happen to be able to get any info.  Thanks.

I assume you mean the different price cap but I'm not sure.  I purchased drinks from the MDR, Studio B, the Royal Theater, Schooner's, Boleros, Cafe Promenade, Playmakers, Solarium Bar, Pool Bar, Sky Lounge, Plaza Bar and Barnacle and Barrel.  The only place I was charged extra for anything was one time at the Plaza Bar--I'm not sure why we were charged extra.  It was at breakfast so maybe Bailey's and/or Kahlua put the drink over the limit, but it was only something like $4 so I didn't care.

Sorry, these acryonms, I was refering to the relatively New Unlimited Dining plan.  JRs, Playmakers and Bamboo room food may or may not be included and it may depend on if trying to eat the food at 2pm versus 5pm, at least as regards embarkation day and port days.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:04 AM, barbiecruiser27 said:

Hi there! It’s officially pre cruise and I’m riding shotgun heading to Miami. I figured, what better time to post! 

Cruise details: This is my first trip with my boyfriend of 2 years that is just the two of us. We travel often, but it’s usually him tagging along with a work trip, family trips, or trips with friends. Two years in the making it is finally just us two!! My birthday was yesterday (April 6), so this cruise is a semi birthday trip/adult spring break. Man I miss the days of a given spring break, summer break, holiday break..We’re sailing on the Mariner out Miami and heading to Coco Cay and Nassau. Boyfriend (Brad) has never been to Nassau, I informed him he isn’t missing much, but he’s still excited. I’ve never sailed on a Mariner Class ship, most recently did the Freedom class, but I’ve heard there is hardly a difference. We have an interior deck 6 room. Tried to book a promenade, but we decided the noise might be annoying, plus nothing beats the sleeping darkness of an interior room (and the price!).   

(Below: our last cruise- Independence with family) 

7813BB2D-557C-4361-9E29-EFCE7B1920E2.jpeg

Pre-Cruise: Since I travel often with my job I’ve earned quite a bit of Marriott points. I’m using those points for our pre-Cruise hotel. I was going to use the lowest tier of points and book a simple  hotel, but then I had a Yolo moment and used almost all of my points towards the W in Brickell. The hotel has a 50th and 15th story pool! I guess using all of my points is better than letting them just sit there. The goal of today is to enjoy the pool, so we hit the road at 7am from Orlando and should be in Miami around lunch time. I’m so excited about this hotel! The concierge even emailed me yesterday to see if I had any special requests... talk about service.. cheapo typical me could get used to this...

We don’t  have an internet package on the ship because I love disconnecting (and cheap remember)... I’ll post boarding and such but then I won’t be back until post Cruise. 

If if anyone has any Mariner requests for me to take note of please let me know, and I’ll do my best to find them!! 

Fun extra note: Five minutes into the trip I realized I left my toothbrush. Whoops! Cvs here we come! 

To be continued....

Do you plan to finish your review?  I was looking forward to reading it. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 9:22 PM, HappyEyes said:

I would love the 4-1-1 on the night life. I love to dance the night away and am curious if the Mariner has a separate venue for the “nightclub” or if it is in the Viking Crown Lounge.

Any information about the after 10pm events would be greatly appreciated.

There were some cool events on the pool deck and in the promenade for the themed parties and they used the Studio B (ice rink with a regular floor over too) as a night club pretty much every night. We stopped in for some of the events but I’m it a dancer at all so didn’t stick around long.  If you’re really curious I can probably take pictures of our Cruise Compasses. 

On 4/7/2019 at 8:04 AM, barbiecruiser27 said:

To be continued....

How was it?

2 hours ago, SAmome said:

How was it?

I haven’t seen OP respond to this since the cruise ended, but I though it was awesome.  We’re already looking for other cruises and strongly considering doing the same cruise on the Mariner, although it looks like it’ll be out of Orlando next time. 

13 hours ago, cmoore2004 said:

I haven’t seen OP respond to this since the cruise ended, but I though it was awesome.  We’re already looking for other cruises and strongly considering doing the same cruise on the Mariner, although it looks like it’ll be out of Orlando next time. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Did you happen to see anyone utilizing the unlimited dining plan at lunch-ish times for Bamboo Room/Johnny Rockets or Playmakers?

43 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Thanks for the feedback! 

Did you happen to see anyone utilizing the unlimited dining plan at lunch-ish times for Bamboo Room/Johnny Rockets or Playmakers?

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention as I didn't eat at any of the specialty restaurants.

14 hours ago, SAmome said:

Thanks for the feedback! 

The Unlimited Dining Package didn't exist until April 19th, so it was not in effect for the April 8-12 sailing.