Moving an individual booking to a group booking

I know that moving an individual booking to a group booking can be done. The big question is what are the benfits? Looks like we won't be able to take advantage of the group pricing, or at least that is what I believe. We unfortunately jumped the gun when planning a family cruise. We booked directly through RC. Another family member has a travel agent that created a group booking with better pricing, of course. We are now trying to decide if we should transfer our booking to the group.

Talk to the travel agent with the group booking to determine the benefits.

You only have 60 days after your initial booking to transfer.

If you did not pay the full deposit, you will have to increase your deposit to the full amount in order to moved to the group.

Edit to add:  another restriction for transferring a booking is that the booking cannot be paid in full.

1 hour ago, uswings said:

I know that moving an individual booking to a group booking can be done. The big question is what are the benfits? Looks like we won't be able to take advantage of the group pricing, or at least that is what I believe. We unfortunately jumped the gun when planning a family cruise. We booked directly through RC. Another family member has a travel agent that created a group booking with better pricing, of course. We are now trying to decide if we should transfer our booking to the group.

Just to add to Bobs comments you can take advantage of the lower group pricing as long as your cabin is double occupancy and that group space is held in your category.  I’m not 100% certain but I don’t think that non refundable deposit fares can take advantage of the group pricing either.  There is no group pricing available on triples or quads. You can move a triple or quad into a group and get the group amenity though.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just to add to Bobs comments you can take advantage of the lower group pricing as long as your cabin is double occupancy.  There is no group pricing available on triples or quads. You can move a triple or quad into a group and get the group amenity though.  

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just to add to Bobs comments you can take advantage of the lower group pricing as long as your cabin is double occupancy.  There is no group pricing available on triples or quads. You can move a triple or quad into a group and get the group amenity though.  

Thanks Ken, I never knew about the restriction on triples or quads.

Does this restriction apply to the category, no matter how many guests are in the stateroom?  In other words, if there are two guests in a stateroom that can hold three or four, can that get group pricing?

Fingers crossed that I can get the group pricing, because it is rather significant. Everything that I read from RC regarding transferring a individual booking to a group booking states that pricing will remain the same. No where can I find something that states that I can transfer to the group rate. Of course, I will get official clarification when the travel agent gets back to me, but I figured CC was a great place to find info to help calm my nerves. Hate losing money

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Thanks Ken, I never knew about the restriction on triples or quads.

Does this restriction apply to the category, no matter how many guests are in the stateroom?  In other words, if there are two guests in a stateroom that can hold three or four, can that get group pricing?

It depends on whether group pricing is available for that category.  Very few categories ever have group pricing.  For example on OA class it’s usually only the 4D, 6D and 8D balconies that are available and 1 or 2 insides.  Not sure I’ve ever seen a cabin that holds more than 2 in group space with the exception of the JS’s that they just started allowing us to hold 

2 minutes ago, uswings said:

Fingers crossed that I can get the group pricing, because it is rather significant. Everything that I read from RC regarding transferring a individual booking to a group booking states that pricing will remain the same. No where can I find something that states that I can transfer to the group rate. Of course, I will get official clarification when the travel agent gets back to me, but I figured CC was a great place to find info to help calm my nerves. Hate losing money

If you have a non refundable rate now and the savings are more than the $100 pp penalty for cancelling it might pay to cancel and re book in the group

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

My TA saved me several hundred dollars on each of the bookings that I had moved into his group and got some OBC as well😇

Did you have a non refundable bookings? Did you cancel and pay the $100 dee?

Edited by uswings

4 minutes ago, uswings said:

I have personally done this several times.  All with a booking that was a refundable deposit.

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

My TA saved me several hundred dollars on each of the bookings that I had moved into his group and got some OBC as well😇

Does your TA allow to you cancel/change without any fees?

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Talk to the travel agent with the group booking to determine the benefits.

You only have 60 days after your initial booking to transfer.

If you did not pay the full deposit, you will have to increase your deposit to the full amount in order to moved to the group.

Edit to add:  another restriction for transferring a booking is that the booking cannot be paid in full.

if you if you current travel agent releases the booking - it can be transferred to RCI and on to another travel agent I just did that to get a group price👍

38 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

if you if you current travel agent releases the booking - it can be transferred to RCI and on to another travel agent I just did that to get a group price👍

Nice that your current TA was amenable to releasing the booking.