Dog Sled Camp Excursion Question

san diego spartan

We are on HAL, my parents want to do the dog sled camp excursion.  Wondering if anyone has done this and what physically is required.  It is described as a moderate activity.  One of my parents may have some some difficulty getting up and down from seating position, probably cannot handle uneven ground too much.  Certainly ambulatory and able to walk, but usually flat surfaces.  I'm just concerned it might be a bit too much, but they are determined.  Any personal knowledge we what is involved physically would be appreciated. 

On 4/27/2019 at 3:37 PM, san diego spartan said:

We are on HAL, my parents want to do the dog sled camp excursion.  Wondering if anyone has done this and what physically is required.  It is described as a moderate activity.  One of my parents may have some some difficulty getting up and down from seating position, probably cannot handle uneven ground too much.  Certainly ambulatory and able to walk, but usually flat surfaces.  I'm just concerned it might be a bit too much, but they are determined.  Any personal knowledge we what is involved physically would be appreciated. 

If you are going to a dog sled camp on a glacier, plan on walking in 12-inch deep snow and climbing in/out of sardine-like seating in a helicopter.  Riding in a dog sled, you have no padding and you will feel every bump.

If you are driving to a camp to play with puppies, plan on walking in mud.

Experiencing dog sledding over snow will be a highlight of your parent's life and you should facilitate their experience.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/dog-sledding

Edited by Crew News