DOCKING IN BERMUDA IN WIND

Shih-tzu

Just looked at next Sunday's weather (5  May) and it's showing winds of 48 kph (approx. 30 mph) and gusts of 71 kph (45 mph).   Will the Gem still be able to get into port and dock or will it have to anchor outside of Bermuda and wait for the winds to go down (and I suspect based on that it might be a rough crossing....).    

May 5th is a whole week away ... you can’t rely on the weather forecast that far ahead. We don’t!

Anyway, the ships will not go to Bermuda if there are high winds and/or strong currents. They need to enter via a cut off east of Bermuda and go through the North channel westward and then turn south to the Dockyard. Bermuda is surrounded with reefs so marine must go in between buoys.

No there isn't going to be any "anchoring".     Who knows what the weather will be.   Decisions will be made by the professionals-    at the time.    

Whats the concern now?   No way to predict the future.  

7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

No there isn't going to be any "anchoring".     Who knows what the weather will be.   Decisions will be made by the professionals-    at the time.    

Whats the concern now?   No way to predict the future.  

I know it's a whole week ahead but just trying to plan.  Guess looking way ahead at weather and sea state comes from being brought up my mariners..... weather was # 1 concern.

8 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

May 5th is a whole week away ... you can’t rely on the weather forecast that far ahead. We don’t!

Anyway, the ships will not go to Bermuda if there are high winds and/or strong currents. They need to enter via a cut off east of Bermuda and go through the North channel westward and then turn south to the Dockyard. Bermuda is surrounded with reefs so marine must go in between buoys.

Yes, I was fascinated looking at the reefs both coming in by air and by sea and thought at that time that wind and waves would very much affect a ship getting in.  My fear is that we will go to Saint John NB … wouldn't be too much fun paying all that $$ for a cruise and ending up close enough to home to zip over and do laundry and check e-mails 😞 on the port day.  On the up-side - on a cruise at least I don't have to cook and do the dishes.  I love Bermuda - but hubby has never been there - trying to "sell" him on a two week trip next spring.

if both the harbor master and pilot agree the winds is too rough to dock. the ship will mostly likely do circles in the ocean until the winds down die to something that is manageable. This might be delay your arrive to port and you might lose like a few hours to a whole day.

this is similar to what they do when fog affects a port.

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

I live in Florida and it has been windy for two months. We are going in June on Sky and it's the start of hurricane season so I'm planning different things we can do on the ship just in case we can't dock. The harbor master will make the call. When your at sea nature takes over. 

• Like 1