Overnight stop in Phuket

M Clarkson

We're doing an NCL cruise that has an overnight stop there in January 2020. It looks as though the Jade will anchor off Patong Beach and we will be tendered ashore but the ship will dock overnight at Ao Makham port. Does this sound right? If this is the case, how long does the ship stay anchored off Patong Beach for? And will it stay at the dock the next day or return to anchor off Patong Beach? I'm trying to work out how we might spend our two days there and it would be helpful to know what part of Phuket we will arrive in and leave from each day. Have never done a cruise before that included an overnight port stop.

Is there someone at NCL customer relations dept that you could ask?  They definitely should know where you will arrive and leave.

We were just in Phuket. Go to the Old Town. Walk along the main  street till you get to the outdoor food market.  They were filming a movie while we were there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 7:40 AM, M Clarkson said:

We're doing an NCL cruise that has an overnight stop there in January 2020. It looks as though the Jade will anchor off Patong Beach and we will be tendered ashore but the ship will dock overnight at Ao Makham port. Does this sound right? If this is the case, how long does the ship stay anchored off Patong Beach for? And will it stay at the dock the next day or return to anchor off Patong Beach? I'm trying to work out how we might spend our two days there and it would be helpful to know what part of Phuket we will arrive in and leave from each day. Have never done a cruise before that included an overnight port stop.

Cruise ships generally anchor in Patong Bay (west coast) in high season or dock at Ao Makham (east coast) in low season. This is due to the monsoon season that can make Patong Bay an unsafe anchorage. I have never heard of a cruise ship utilizing both locations in the one cruise. Patong Bay is a tender port and you will be transported in to the hub of all dining, shopping and nightlife activities. If the ship overnights in Patong Bay the tenders should run till very late in the evening. Ao Makham is an industrial port where you can walk straight off the ship but you will need to take a taxi or ships tour to visit anything worthwhile. I believe in January the ship should arrive and depart from Patong Bay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

Cruise ships generally anchor in Patong Bay (west coast) in high season or dock at Ao Makham (east coast) in low season. This is due to the monsoon season that can make Patong Bay an unsafe anchorage. I have never heard of a cruise ship utilizing both locations in the one cruise. Patong Bay is a tender port and you will be transported in to the hub of all dining, shopping and nightlife activities. If the ship overnights in Patong Bay the tenders should run till very late in the evening. Ao Makham is an industrial port where you can walk straight off the ship but you will need to take a taxi or ships tour to visit anything worthwhile. I believe in January the ship should arrive and depart from Patong Bay.

We were there in February and there were ships in Patong Bay that stayed overnight at ankor and passengers utilised tenders to get to and from the ship