Need serious advice about dinner times

hawaiideb

We booked directly with Carnival because we were using DH's Marriott points/voucher for basic cruise, and then adding our DD, age 11. It has been 5 years since cruising with Carnival, lately been on NCL with Freestyle dinning.

When we booked our initial agent asked what time we wanted. 5:00, 6:00,7:00 or 8:00? That seemed really strange, so we asked for the 7:00 time. Everything now just says late seating. I need to add that the original booking agent at Carnival changed due to the fact that we were using a voucher, and the real booking agent just kept everything the same. We are cruising the Glory eastern itinerary. Anyone have any useful advice? We have always done a seating around 6:30, so should I try to change to early main????

Debbie

Please help, this is the one thing I want to straighten out.

Odds are your dining times will be 7:45 or 8:15. Since you know how long dinner takes on a cruise ship--and some prefer what is can be a more leisurely ambiance of late dining since there are no patrons following you--the main question is whether your daughter will be able to comfortably remain awake for the duration of the meal. In most cases, your "showtime" will be prior to your meal. There is the possibility, however, that it will follow your meal.

The problem is, that no matter what time you "request", you'll get what they want to give you and you won't know until embarkation. We "requested" the 6:15 on the Valor for our 1/8/06 sailing and were given the 5:45. We were unable to change it once on board.

30 minutes may not seem like a lot of time, but it did make a difference on port days...enough that, while we had a great time and I love Carnival on a whole, we will probably book NCL and their "Freestyle" for future cruises.

Neither my husband or I are "buffet" diners, so relaxing and then going to Rosie's was not an option.

I agree with Serene. I'd call back and 'request' early dining. You still won't know which seating until you receive your S&S card just prior to boarding. If it's not what you want, see the Maitre d' and request a change. Simple.:)

You guys are always great to come through with good advice. I'm thinking that we may ask for a change to early main. DD is in 5th grade, and a real night owl, plus we are on Central time, so that hour might not make a big difference. However, I still makes me wonder about eating so late and missing camp times. She is an only child, very social, and LOVES camp time!!!

Thanks for the ideas!

Debbie

We're currently booked for "main seating". What time is that? Are there more than two seatings on the Miracle? Also, would appreciate pros and cons. We're considering requesting late seating (pros: no rushing from port, relaxed dinner with no one following... cons: would we miss the shows or shorten our night out too much?)

Thanks as always for everyone's input.

I am having the same problem. I think I have decided on the late seating. I have three kids, DS 7,and DD 9 and 11. Since the kids would rather eat at the buffet, we will let them eat early. They can then head to Camp Carnival, and DW and I can eat in peace at the late seating.

David

Carnival Victory 5/7/01

Carnival Miracle 8/6/06

We've had the late seating with kids - never had a problem. Sometimes they would come to dinner with us, sometimes they would go to a Camp event...if they wanted to be at an event during dinner, we would just make sure to feed them in Lido restaurant before hand...they had dinner with the Camp.

(Looks like CruiseHobbit had the same experience...I sure am typing slow tonight!! Too many interuptions - kids need to get to bed!!!)

We're currently booked for "main seating". What time is that? Are there more than two seatings on the Miracle? Also, would appreciate pros and cons. We're considering requesting late seating (pros: no rushing from port, relaxed dinner with no one following... cons: would we miss the shows or shorten our night out too much?)

Thanks as always for everyone's input.

there is only two seatings on the miracle- 5:45 and 8:15

your show is before dinner..so although you dont have to rush to get back from the port-- you will have to get dressed for dinner to see a show a hour or two earlier then what you would if you werent seeing a show. THere are two shows--both are on formal nights.

Set it up with the travel agent-- if you booked with carnival then call-- but if you booked with a private agency carnival will NOT talk to you about your reservation.

But the aent should asked you what you prefer-- early or late-- small med or lare table.

When you get onboard your assignment will be noted on your sign and sail card. I go directly to the dining room tomake sure I like where I am sitting- I do not want to be sitting around the entrances to the galley-- to date-- I have been extremly happy.

If you find you dont like where you are--or the time-- go o the matre de and request a change.

Johnny, if you booked with Carnival, you can call them and request a 'change in your request'. If you booked with another agency, you'd have to call them to put in your request. And I'd say go ahead and call before the cruise.

beasfriend, I was on the sailing as you. We also asked for 6:15 and got 5:45. We decided to just go with it and did not even try to change. We are used to eating around 6:00--and by the time you get your food it is about that time. That part was O.K. What was kind of hard was getting ready on time. Never did a very good job of my hair. LOL

I've read the other threads about seating time only being a "request". Given that, is there any point in contacting Carnival ahead of time to alter our request

As Serene/Co'tton have noted, all you're doing is making requests. Like many things, it's not "a given". But, for the most part, it's "first come, first served".

I called Carnival this morning and they very politely changed my dining request from 8:15 to 6:15. The agent was very nice, and noted it as such. I had a question about our table. When we were on the Spirit in '01, we were assigned to a large table, but really prefer to dine alone. I remember we just went to the Matre' De as soon as we boarded and we were assigned a great little table for 3. DD at the time was 6, so this was perfect! We were so glad to not have to worry about her dining habits with others at the table. What's the chance we will be able to have a small table assigned this time??

Debbie

Just after boarding, go to the dining room listed on your S&S card, and check out your table number. If it isn't what you want, see the Maitre d' at the time shown in the "Capers" that will be in your cabin. Go at that time and request a smaller table.

We requested the 6:15 seating on the Glory. I am an early riser on vacations and tend to eat early breakfast and lunch, so I am usually pretty hungry by 6:00. I figure this also lets me take full advantage of the late nite buffet!

We never had a problem with whatever time we wanted. Never had to change it. One of the things we do is check where we will be sitting when we check out the ship after boarding. We always do a walk thru on all the ships. Trying to get at least one trip on all carnival ships. Only a few left. Like them all, and each is different in there own way. Love it.:D

We never had a problem with whatever time we wanted. Never had to change it. One of the things we do is check where we will be sitting when we check out the ship after boarding. We always do a walk thru on all the ships. Trying to get at least one trip on all carnival ships. Only a few left. Like them all, and each is different in there own way. Love it.:D

Better get Holiday in before they put her out to pasture. :)

Archived