Adding cruise cash - 2 cabins 1 S&S account

jjsparkles

Hi, looking for some help please :)

We are a family of 4 and have 2 cabins booked. I've set up one S&S account for all of us and want to add cruise cash to this before we go. When I do this on the website, it asks me which cabin I want to assign it to, and the named people.

I want one account to share for us all, so I assume I choose my own cabin and my name (as I did when setting up our S&S account) ? I just want to make sure that by doing this it doesn't need to be me, personally using my card all the time for everyone else and that the balance will be shared by us all. 

thanks in advance 

Not sure I understand your question or statement, need more caffeine.

A S&S account is like a debit driven checking account, it can be set up as an individual account or as a joint master account.

The Sail and SIgn cards with its individual folio number, are like debit cards while on the cruise, you can have multiple authorized user cards set to a master account. Additionally you can have some on your booking or a linked booking on the master account while others would need to fund their own account.

BUT if 1 master account is set up for all on a booking then all charges go against that the funding sources in that joint account, UNLESS you put a cruise long spending limit on each individual S&S folio number. This as far as I know this can only be done once on board if it adults are involved, but if it is for minors (under 18) you can do it online. If you set-up a master account during the online check-in process simply allow the others on your booking to have "charging privileges", if any of these other passengers are minors there should be a prompted to include a specific amount to be spent during the cruise or leave blank to allow unfettered spending. If it is a shared account with other adults and you wish to have a cap on their spending on your dime, all involved must go with you to the guest services desk and have that cruise long spending limit set for each individual folio number. These preferences can be changed or edited online right up to 11:59 eastern the night before embarkation (without the need to reprint boarding passes).

Though S&S accounts can be set-up with a mix of funding sources once you do your physically check-in, during the online check-in you can only pick 1, cash or credit. With credit only allowing for 1 card to go on record for the S&S account(s), you can at physical check-in or a little later at guest services add or change to other methods of funding on the S&S account including additional credit or debit cards. Charges against the account will go in this order

1) Non refundable OBC including Cruise Cash gifts

2) Refundable OBC including Carnival Gift Cards

3) Cash 

4) Credit/Debit Cards 

More than 1 credit or debit card can be put on file, but until you close out the S&S account you can not control how much of the final balance is charged to any single card. To tell the cruise line you only so much on this or that card for final billing you will need to go to guest services and direct them as to how much of the final balance to put against your cards of choice on the last night of the cruise and "manually" close out the S&S account. Also if a cruise long spending limit is set by the master account holder needs to be exceeded by the "authorized user" they can place cash on their S&S folio.

Edited by maryred

3 hours ago, jjsparkles said:

Hi, looking for some help please :)

We are a family of 4 and have 2 cabins booked. I've set up one S&S account for all of us and want to add cruise cash to this before we go. When I do this on the website, it asks me which cabin I want to assign it to, and the named people.

I want one account to share for us all, so I assume I choose my own cabin and my name (as I did when setting up our S&S account) ? I just want to make sure that by doing this it doesn't need to be me, personally using my card all the time for everyone else and that the balance will be shared by us all. 

thanks in advance 

Do not worry about naming the people, etc. Remember the online purchase system was originally designed for buying gifts for others. When I buy the cruise cash, I note it is for my wife and child. They get notes in the cabin and they think I bought it just for them but we all use it. (I have my child's card fix so she can only spend $10.00 per day.) 

Thanks both. 

I may be overthinking it. I have checked my online check in and have one account set up and everyone has privileges to use it. Therefore I’m pretty sure if I add the cruise cash to my cabin, under my name then it will be used to fund the account I’ve set up, for us all to use. 😀

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 10:54 AM, jjsparkles said:

Thanks both. 

I may be overthinking it. I have checked my online check in and have one account set up and everyone has privileges to use it. Therefore I’m pretty sure if I add the cruise cash to my cabin, under my name then it will be used to fund the account I’ve set up, for us all to use. 😀

I think you really are overthinking this.  If you have one account set up and you are going to be paying it yourself, it doesn't really matter.  All of the charges will show up on your account as the primary account (and yes everyone's will show up on their own folio charges but you aren't being charged twice).  Only the main account will be ultimately charged.  The way ours have worked in the past is that you will see each individual charge and then each OBC that you have.  This is the way it has been done with DH and I.  He is listed as the first passenger and is the primary account.  I can check my folio account individually but at the end all charges show up on his.    Essentially they will add up the charges and then deduct the OBC and the balance is what you will then owe.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:53 AM, maryred said:

Not sure I understand your question or statement, need more caffeine.

A S&S account is like a debit driven checking account, it can be set up as an individual account or as a joint master account.

The Sail and SIgn cards with its individual folio number, are like debit cards while on the cruise, you can have multiple authorized user cards set to a master account. Additionally you can have some on your booking or a linked booking on the master account while others would need to fund their own account.

BUT if 1 master account is set up for all on a booking then all charges go against that the funding sources in that joint account, UNLESS you put a cruise long spending limit on each individual S&S folio number. This as far as I know this can only be done once on board if it adults are involved, but if it is for minors (under 18) you can do it online. If you set-up a master account during the online check-in process simply allow the others on your booking to have "charging privileges", if any of these other passengers are minors there should be a prompted to include a specific amount to be spent during the cruise or leave blank to allow unfettered spending. If it is a shared account with other adults and you wish to have a cap on their spending on your dime, all involved must go with you to the guest services desk and have that cruise long spending limit set for each individual folio number. These preferences can be changed or edited online right up to 11:59 eastern the night before embarkation (without the need to reprint boarding passes).

Though S&S accounts can be set-up with a mix of funding sources once you do your physically check-in, during the online check-in you can only pick 1, cash or credit. With credit only allowing for 1 card to go on record for the S&S account(s), you can at physical check-in or a little later at guest services add or change to other methods of funding on the S&S account including additional credit or debit cards. Charges against the account will go in this order

1) Non refundable OBC including Cruise Cash gifts

2) Refundable OBC including Carnival Gift Cards

3) Cash 

4) Credit/Debit Cards 

More than 1 credit or debit card can be put on file, but until you close out the S&S account you can not control how much of the final balance is charged to any single card. To tell the cruise line you only so much on this or that card for final billing you will need to go to guest services and direct them as to how much of the final balance to put against your cards of choice on the last night of the cruise and "manually" close out the S&S account. Also if a cruise long spending limit is set by the master account holder needs to be exceeded by the "authorized user" they can place cash on their S&S folio.

Very informative!  Thank you for taking the time to share all this.  I learned a lot.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Honestly i would not get cruise cash problem with it is if you don't use it then you will lose it 

Instead, if your trying to buy ahead of time buy some carnival gift cards this way you can buy them ahead of time and then on your cruise just use your carnival gift card to pay off what you use - you can add your credit card to begin with and just go at the end of your cruise and pay off what you owe with your giftcards or you can add the giftcard when you get on board