Upgrade advice

So my immediate family and I decided to take a cruise during February 2020 break and all these other family members started jumping on. Which I’m cool with as it’s my favorite line and ship/itinerary I picked.

So recently my sister in law and her young son  decided to join us. So my father in law called Carnival to reserve her a cabin and was told only 20 cabins left. He was leary of booking a balcony for them (that’s what he wanted) due to the $500 non refundable deposit and there is 50% chance she’ll decide not to go. She’s never dependable (I said in law right?) So he booked her an inside room (deposit was less) and is getting trip insurance. Though he wants to try and upgrade her to a balcony later, he wanted to guarantee she had a cabin. 

Is it best to try and upgrade prior to final payment? Just after final payment? Is a PVP helpful with this? He had no issue with the price of the balcony- it was the non refundable deposit. He would also probe happy with an inside cabin closer to his cabin as well.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

7 hours ago, CruisingBeans said:

So recently my sister in law and her young son  decided to join us. So my father in law called Carnival to reserve her a cabin and was told only 20 cabins left. He was leary of booking a balcony for them (that’s what he wanted) due to the $500 non refundable deposit and there is 50% chance she’ll decide not to go. She’s never dependable (I said in law right?) So he booked her an inside room (deposit was less) and is getting trip insurance. Though he wants to try and upgrade her to a balcony later, he wanted to guarantee she had a cabin. 

I feel like if the sailing is that far out there would be some sort of fully refundable deposit rate code available.

7 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

If it is true only 20 cabins left would book now. However rather far out for the ship to be almost sold out so would take with grain of salt.

Yep. They will always say that to try to entice you to book faster and for them to get their little commission. 

It sounds like he booked Early Saver.  Had he booked any other way, he would get his full deposit back,  up until final payment due date.  

You didn't say which ship it is but some of them sell out faster than others.  If he waits too long, the balcony cabins might be all sold out.  Only he can decide if he wants to chance them going.

It’s the Magic and it’s break week for school in the Northeast so I’m not surprised it’s a popular booking.

He called to book and the Carnival rep would only offer non refundable deposits. He asked because when he booked he did a refundable deposit fare. When I tried to mock book online they only offered the early saver and the won’t assign you a cabin yet for any of the categories.

We were  trying to figure out when the best chance to try and upgrade would be. If we can’t at least they have a cabin. They’ve never cruised before so they won’t have any comparison.

13 hours ago, CruisingBeans said:

So my immediate family and I decided to take a cruise during February 2020 break and all these other family members started jumping on. Which I’m cool with as it’s my favorite line and ship/itinerary I picked.

There must be a miscommunication between the call center clerk and your FIL as the deposit amounts are not dependent on cabin class but on length of cruise. So passengers in a suite have the same deposit amount as someone doing a 1A upper/lower interior. If there is a deposit special VIFP offer or a special booking offer reducing the normal per passenger amounts in the chart below then that would be across the board as well. As for there being only 20 cabins left on the whole cruise or even only 20 cabins of a particular category then I would book now for the cabin type wanted and not waste time hoping that and upgrade is available later.

DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT REQUIREMENTS

Cruise Duration

Deposit Required

Deposit Required
Single Occupancy

Final Payment
Required

2 - 3 days

$100 USD per person

$200 USD

60 days prior to sailing

4 - 5 days $150 USD per person $300 USD 60 days prior to sailing
6 - 8 days $250 USD per person $500 USD 75 days prior to sailing

9 days and longer
$400 USD per person $800 USD 90 days prior to sailing
Alaska, Europe, Panama Canal, 
Transatlantic, Transpacific

Non-Refundable Deposit at time of booking: Early Saver and Super Saver
Non-Refundable Total Fare at time of booking: Pack & Go

Total Fare is defined as cruise fare, air supplement, optional transfers and pre/post cruise vacation package.
Single Occupancy: Reservation
 will require 200% of the per person deposit. The total deposit amount will never exceed the cruise fare.

46 minutes ago, CruisingBeans said:

It’s the Magic and it’s break week for school in the Northeast so I’m not surprised it’s a popular booking.

He called to book and the Carnival rep would only offer non refundable deposits. He asked because when he booked he did a refundable deposit fare. When I tried to mock book online they only offered the early saver and the won’t assign you a cabin yet for any of the categories.

We were  trying to figure out when the best chance to try and upgrade would be. If we can’t at least they have a cabin. They’ve never cruised before so they won’t have any comparison.

If you are talking about the Presidents/Energy Conservation week then less school districts every year seemed to be scheduling this favor of having more of flexible snow or adverse weather days available to them. (So they don't have to cut days from Easter/Passover vacation or run longer into the summer.) BUT many travel agents and vacation clubs haven't gotten that memo, and still block out more than normal winter season cabins for open group bookings leaving a cruise to look almost full up until they are forced to return their unsold inventory about 2-4 weeks prior to the final payment date. When those open group bookings are closed out, suddenly there could a glut of cabins available (category 4B and up) and the cruise line's automated pricing logarithm kicks in lowering the price, and could get the upgrade then, but it is a gamble. 

Under Early Saver you always have to pick your cabin prior to getting to the payment page., because GNT bookings are not eligible for price reductions once booked So either there is a computer glitch on Carnival's end or all that is left to offer for that particular cabin category is the Super Saver offers which are guaranteed category but TBA location and require full payment of the entire fare at booking and Carnival reserving the right to assign or change the cabin location right up until the sail away date. And yes is where having a good PVP to call or a local TA that you can face to face with that is CLIA trained makes all of the difference, sincethey can go over all the fine print of what each booking rate involves.

2 hours ago, maryred said:

There must be a miscommunication between the call center clerk and your FIL as the deposit amounts are not dependent on cabin class but on length of cruise. So passengers in a suite have the same deposit amount as someone doing a 1A upper/lower interior. If there is a deposit special VIFP offer or a special booking offer reducing the normal per passenger amounts in the chart below then that would be across the board as well. As for there being only 20 cabins left on the whole cruise or even only 20 cabins of a particular category then I would book now for the cabin type wanted and not waste time hoping that and upgrade is available later.

Cruise Duration

Deposit Required

Deposit Required
Single Occupancy

Final Payment
Required

2 - 3 days

$100 USD per person

$200 USD

60 days prior to sailing

9 days and longer

Total Fare is defined as cruise fare, air supplement, optional transfers and pre/post cruise vacation package.
 will require 200% of the per person deposit. The total deposit amount will never exceed the cruise fare.

If you are talking about the Presidents/Energy Conservation week then less school districts every year seemed to be scheduling this favor of having more of flexible snow or adverse weather days available to them. (So they don't have to cut days from Easter/Passover vacation or run longer into the summer.) BUT many travel agents and vacation clubs haven't gotten that memo, and still block out more than normal winter season cabins for open group bookings leaving a cruise to look almost full up until they are forced to return their unsold inventory about 2-4 weeks prior to the final payment date. When those open group bookings are closed out, suddenly there could a glut of cabins available (category 4B and up) and the cruise line's automated pricing logarithm kicks in lowering the price, and could get the upgrade then, but it is a gamble. 

Under Early Saver you always have to pick your cabin prior to getting to the payment page., because GNT bookings are not eligible for price reductions once booked So either there is a computer glitch on Carnival's end or all that is left to offer for that particular cabin category is the Super Saver offers which are guaranteed category but TBA location and require full payment of the entire fare at booking and Carnival reserving the right to assign or change the cabin location right up until the sail away date. And yes is where having a good PVP to call or a local TA that you can face to face with that is CLIA trained makes all of the difference, sincethey can go over all the fine print of what each booking rate involves.

Oh I wish they would get rid of February break (President’s day week) but it’s not happening anytime soon here in Maine or most New England states (I suspect).   

Usually when we do book group family cruises we use a cruise only travel agent we know and have used many times in past. I didn’t initially because it was only the 4 of us and easy to book online. I think I can still give her all the bookings and may consider this option now.

2 hours ago, maryred said:

Cruise Duration

Deposit Required

Deposit Required
Single Occupancy

Final Payment
Required

2 - 3 days

$100 USD per person

$200 USD

60 days prior to sailing

9 days and longer

Oh I wish they would get rid of February break (President’s day week) but it’s not happening anytime soon here in Maine or most New England states (I suspect).   

Usually when we do book group family cruises we use a cruise only travel agent we know and have used many times in past. I didn’t initially because it was only the 4 of us and easy to book online. I think I can still give her all the bookings and may consider this option now.