Classic and Premium Wine by the Bottle Packages?

Aralim

I just logged into my Cruise Planner and saw two new options:

• Classic Wine by the Bottle Package -- $109 + gratuity for 3 bottles, $179+ for 5 bottles, and $209+ for 7 bottles
  • Premium Wine by the Bottle Package -- $169+ for 3 bottles, $239+ 5 bottles, and $319+ for 7 bottles

Has anyone seen / purchased this package before? It doesn't give an exact list of eligible wines for either package, just a couple of examples. I'm assuming that this is more or less a wine-only, bottles-only version of the Classic and Premium alcohol package. Honestly, this is kind of ideal in one sense, since I figure I won't be drinking a ton during my particular sailing as it's port-intensive, and will most likely just want to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine each night with dinner.

do plan on bringing my allowed two bottles of wine per stateroom; with two staterooms booked for my family, I'll have a total of four bottles (two for my cabin, two that my wife will bring for the other) and I figure that should cover me for between 6 and 8 of the 14 days of this trip (depending on the size of the pours). But it would be nice to have the option of another 3 bottles to enjoy, as long as I can find something that is in line with what I like.

I'm pretty straightforward in my tastes and preferences, don't know enough about wine to call myself a snob or any kind of expert. You tell me that a particular wine has hints of cherries, vanilla, and cloves and I'll nod along politely while wondering what the heck you're talking about. I can taste differences in wines, just not to that level. 😅

I'm mostly a fan of dark / bold / dry reds: Tuscans / Chianti, Zinfandel, Malbec, Sangiovese / Syrah, sometimes Merlot. Don't typically buy anything fancy at home, just stuff that's $8-15 a bottle that I have as my day-to-day table wines. But I do like to branch out on vacations and cruises, and have enjoyed many a wine that (on Royal at least) has gone for $16-$18 a glass / $65+ a bottle. Those were really good and I enjoyed them quite a bit, just no way I can afford those as regular options at home, even with lower on-land pricing.

So would this package be worth it? Or should I just stick with what I plan to bring on board?

These have been around for a few years at least.  We purchased a 7 bottle Premium package while on the ship two years ago.  We purchased it from the Sommlier and before purchasing he gave use the list of wines we could choose from, making sure we’re all in stock.  I wouldn’t purchase it on- line simply because we would want to know what was available to choose from.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is a old post from 2019. Can anyone who has bought this pkg. lately tell me what wines were offered in the Premium Wines by the bottle. This is not part of the AI wine pkg. 

I know you can buy 3,5,7 bottles. We don`t have the AI on our Hawaii cruise. 

Just now, maggie.1008 said:

I was hoping someone had ordered wine by the bottle package and let me know what wines were offered 

I'd be interested in knowing as well.

I do believe there are supply issues impacting the selection on wines on X; especially the by-the-glass varieties offered. I'd recommend waiting until you get on the ship and ask the sommelier what is available in each category before deciding upon the package. Added bonus is that the sommelier will remember you and serve you accordingly!! Enjoy your cruise.