New to NCL - on the Sun in Sept - Any tips on NCL and/or Great Stirrup Cay??

CSloan

I've been on a bunch of cruises, but on other cruise lines (mostly Princess). My sister and I thought we'd give NCL a shot, since we've always wanted to go to Cuba and Key West. Well, now we can't go to Cuba, and they've taken Key West off the itinerary for our September cruise. We already had other pre-cruise reservations and airfare in place, so we're locked into these date. So, we're still giving NCL a try.  Any tips would be appreciated, especially..

What are the best things about the Sun?

Favorite spots onboard?

What’s the entertainment like?

Best drinks?

How’s the Mexican restaurant?

Dining tips in general?

Great Stirrup Cay

Tips?

Do they rent clamshells?

Is the snorkeling any good?

Those are all the questions I can think of now. I'm sure I'll have more.  What has your experience been like with NCL, on the Sun and at Great Stirrup Cay?

Thanks, Cathy

I haven't sailed on the Sun yet, but I all the pics and videos I've seen since the dry dock look great. In April I spent the entire day on GSC chatting with a couple that was sailing on the Sun (we were on the Escape and both ships were ported there for the day). The seemed to really love it. Said the bartenders were great, it didn't feel crowded, and they were having a great time. Definitely piqued my interest to sail on her soon.

As for GSC, they do rent clam shells. However, we spent our whole day at a table with an umbrella right next to the Bacardi bar. You have to get off the ship pretty early to nab one of the tables, but it was really nice. We tipped one of the bartenders there $20 and he brought drinks directly to our table all day long instead of us having to wait in line at the bar! Drinks and food are free on the island, which is really nice. I did not check out the buffet, but we did go to the "taco stand" and get tacos for our whole table at one point. All in all, it was one of my favorite port days ever, which was shocking, because I hate beaches, the sand, and sun! I do love drinks and shade and good company though, so those trumped the things I hate.

Oh, as for sand, make sure you wear sandals or flip flops. The entire island is sand (no paved or concrete walkways) so your shoes WILL get sandy and they will have sprayers as you get back on the tenders to rinse off your feet.

pm9HcJ2L-KROfhJutBnXDg42q--133NdPA5D8Vx0

9MIHf3sktZPKcUzHNgJu3gJlACR_TQC6Le0ldX1h

8dnqb7dWgfIr8KyhLWQ78tviH18gBbRDmSx2Nmr3

The SUN has great balcony rooms, the biggest in the fleet by just a tad.  The aft dining room is lovely, but La Cucina is Beautiful!    The forward Observation Lounge is nice, windows all the way round.  Just a heads up on GSC, it us a tender port and the cross currents make tendering rough, or you won't get on the island at all.

When I sailed her the Tapas Bar had free tapas in the early evening, but that has probably changed.  They also used to have a sandwich venue up there for lunch.  

She's a great ship. Slower paced, but relaxing.

We will be on her the end of August for the 2nd time... Did the Breakaway not long ago and ready for the "small" ship! Not a big fan (after trying it) of that big of ship (Breakaway).

We had a mini-suite last year and will have a suite (anniversary) this time.  GSC is great if you get shade! We have had the same umbrella/table at the bar ourselves and it makes for a wonderful day!

Edited by bobsfamily