DVD player on riviera and airfare notifications

seamac29

Booked for Oct 2020 wondering do US region DVD's play in players and what is time frame when you are advised of Oceania airfare arrangements made as part of trip Are you able to pay for seat upgrades such as extra leg room etc. and seat choices Thanks 

US DVDs work in the currently used DVD players (e.g., on Nautica). However, it is my understanding that the R ship "NEXT" conversions (we'll finally cruise on a completed one this December) are moving to "on demand" recorded programming. So, DVD players may be history by the time you cruise.

Perhaps someone whose been on a completed NEXT conversion (e.g., Insignia) can weigh in here.

As for upgrading O provided airfare, it is my understanding that, if you want a class of service other than what was in your purchase, you will need to pay the entire cost of any available O contract ticket for the higher class of service on their selected airline or your preferred airline (i.e., not the difference from economy to business - rather, you'll pay the whole cost of a business ticket). And, if you want to fly on different dates or different airlines, you will need to pay the air deviation fee (unless you're gold or higher O loyalty level.

As for using your FF miles for a basic seat upgrade (e.g., an O economy fare to extra legroom or business class), that depends on whether the airline selected will upgrade on O's contract airfare code (some fare codes are non-upgradable). 

This is why we have always taken the O air credit since we never fly in on the day of departure and we fly United/Star Alliance business or premium plus on international flights exceeding 5 hours. 

• Like 2

Upgrades and seat assignment changes depends upon the airlines. Some allow the cruiser to do it after ticketing. Others require Oceania, the purchaser of the ticket to make all changes. Some airlines only allow you to do seat assignments on Oceania bulk rate tickets 24 hours before flight time.

there is no one answer to your question. Depends upon the airlines.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

US DVDs work in the currently used DVD players (e.g., on Nautica). However, it is my understanding that the R ship "NEXT" conversions (we'll finally cruise on a completed one this December) are moving to "on demand" recorded programming. So, DVD players may be history by the time you cruise.

Perhaps someone whose been on a completed NEXT conversion (e.g., Insignia) can weigh in here.

As for upgrading O provided airfare, it is my understanding that, if you want a class of service other than what was in your purchase, you will need to pay the entire cost of any available O contract ticket for the higher class of service on their selected airline or your preferred airline (i.e., not the difference from economy to business - rather, you'll pay the whole cost of a business ticket). And, if you want to fly on different dates or different airlines, you will need to pay the air deviation fee (unless you're gold or higher O loyalty level.

As for using your FF miles for a basic seat upgrade (e.g., an O economy fare to extra legroom or business class), that depends on whether the airline selected will upgrade on O's contract airfare code (some fare codes are non-upgradable). 

This is why we have always taken the O air credit since we never fly in on the day of departure and we fly United/Star Alliance business or premium plus on international flights exceeding 5 hours. 

We used points for our economy seats and then I paid for upgrades to Economy Plus or whatever it's called on United.  I'm very particular when flying to Rio that I want UA out of Houston.