YC and drinks

CruisingSince1982

51 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

No trouble (usually  🙄 internet connection just acting up at the moment!).

I agree about the great value in upgrading, but there are a few reports on here that people are having trouble getting the upgrade on a YC booking.  We have 2 YC bookings coming up and have upgraded on both.

DCG ... the champagne bar on Meraviglia does have champagne by the glass.

Thanks, Bea. Still wondering if we should upgrade-I want to take advantage of the 30% discount on bottles + have access to champagne cocktails! *hic* 🍾

40 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thanks, Bea. Still wondering if we should upgrade-I want to take advantage of the 30% discount on bottles + have access to champagne cocktails! *hic* 🍾

I plan to report back on our experience with the upgrade on Seaview in 6 weeks' time.  ☺️

• Like 1

aargh - we're on the same Seaview sailing as you Bea and have just been told by MSC uk that it is impossible to upgrade the drinks package in the yacht club. The lady I spoke to even checked with her supervisor. I intend to email Alice and see if I get anywhere.

On a plus note the phone was answered immediately and i wasn't kept waiting for ages.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Just now, Alex5328 said:

aargh - we're on the same Seaview sailing as you Bea and have just been told by MSC uk that it is impossible to upgrade the drinks package in the yacht club. The lady I spoke to even checked with her supervisor. I intend to email Alice and see if I get anywhere.

On a plus note the phone was answered immediately and i wasn't kept waiting for ages.

I'll let you know how I get on.

It's just unbelievable!  My Seaview booking is with a German TA and they arranged the upgrade without any difficulties with MSC Germany.  I did have a bit of hassle upgrading with MSC UK on our direct booking for our Oct YC cruise;  I was originally quoted the price difference from 'Easy' for Prem+ and when I queried it, I got the response that I've posted here.  MSC UK states that there isn't a specific drinks package included for YC (though MSC Germany states that Premium is included for YC guests), yet they're charging me the difference in price between Prem and Prem+.

Another poster (who had upgraded his YC booking to include Prem+ on an Oct US-based sailing) was originally refused, too, when he tried to upgrade on next year's YC booking.  Several weeks later, out of the blue, he received an email from MSC UK advising him that they had upgraded him!   🙄

I remember having the same problems years ago trying to upgrade to the Deluxe package - I had to wait 'til onboard on one particular cruise, to upgrade.  There were no problems, of course, once onboard, but the 15% service charge added quite a bit as it was a 24 night cruise!  It was felt, at the time, that it was deliberate MSC policy to force you to upgrade onboard where the service charge applied.

Alex, we are also on the same sailing as you and Bea and I got told the same as you. I was planning on ringing them again this week to see if I got a different answer. We are also on Divina in YC the week before and would have upgraded for that too if I could.

You may be more successful emailing them (which I did ... the only time I ever ring them is when I want to make a booking).  Either way, just advise them that you want to add code #699 (Prem+ code for Med sailings) to your booking.

ok - update. After several phonecalls and many emails still not getting anywhere. This is what I've been told so far:-

- YC is a special package so its not possible to upgrade, its not the premium package;

- Bea, you were upgraded on a special promotion that is no longer running;

- Connoiseur drinks are not included for YC and there is no package that is available that will include them; and

- it will not be possible to upgrade on the ship.

I'm still waiting for the answer to my question as to how it is possible that if I had booked a bella inside I would be able to purchase the premium plus package but not if in the YC. I think I'm about to give up as its wasting too much energy but it just seems mad. Its our 20th anniversary while we are away so it would have been nice to upgrade.

Simon, look forward to meeting you in August (we board in Genoa) - if you get any further with them can you post?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Alex5328 said:

- Bea, you were upgraded on a special promotion that is no longer running;

That was what another poster was told - having been successful in upgrading for this October and wanting to upgrade for the following year and being turned down on that basis when he queried why he could do it on one cruise but not on another.  However, out of the blue, weeks later, he received an email advising him that they had upgraded him.  Go figure!  🙄

I'm wondering if this is MSC UK specific???

ETA ... thanks for the update, bytheway!

Edited by Beamafar

On 7/18/2019 at 1:18 PM, Simon1902 said:

Alex, we are also on the same sailing as you and Bea and I got told the same as you. I was planning on ringing them again this week to see if I got a different answer. We are also on Divina in YC the week before and would have upgraded for that too if I could.

Simon ... seeing as you're in YC (on a different ship, but in the Med) the week before, perhaps you might ask the concierge what the situation is around the subject and let us know, either here or on Seaview the following week.

Bea, yes I will ask the concierge on the Divina the week before and report back, unless I get any joy from the email I sent a couple of days ago.

Alex, it is funny we board in Genoa as well and it is our 20th Anniversary whilst on board (ours is 30th August).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simon1902 said:

Bea, yes I will ask the concierge on the Divina the week before and report back, unless I get any joy from the email I sent a couple of days ago.

Alex, it is funny we board in Genoa as well and it is our 20th Anniversary whilst on board (ours is 30th August).

How funny - we're the 28th. See you in a few weeks.