Grand turk - puerto Rico customs/immigration

gizfish

When the itinerary is foreign port (Turks) followed by usa (puerto Rico) and then foreign (amber cove) will we have to go through customs/immigration in PR?  I remember a similar scenario, not sure if it was on Carnival, that u.s. citizens had to present themselves to officials in a public area before the ship was cleared.  Anyone know if this is still the case?

I've never experienced this on a San Juan port stop on a cruise that originated in the mainland US.  However, on the Fascination 7-day cruises that board new passengers in both Barbados and San Juan, all passengers who boarded in Barbados do have to debark and clear U.S. customs on the San Juan port day.

However, for closed loop cruises originating in the mainland U.S., I have also heard of all passengers having to disembark and clear customs in Key West if there was an intermediate foreign port call.  I've never experienced this myself however because Key West has always been the first port after leaving the mainland U.S.  It may occur more often in the foreseeable future though with Carnival having to find alternative ports to replace Cuba.