Bring water proof camera and digital camera

Dlynn

When we are in Jamaica we are doing the falls and river tubing. I was wondering should I bring my digital camera or just a waterproof camera? How expensive are the waterproof covers? I have a Canon Power Shot. Thank You.:)

When we are in Jamaica we are doing the falls and river tubing. I was wondering should I bring my digital camera or just a waterproof camera? How expensive are the waterproof covers? I have a Canon Power Shot. Thank You.:)

When planning to be in water, I always buy the disposable 35mm water proof cameras, about $7-$10, 27 prints. They take good photos, and I don't have to worry about damaging or ruining a >$1,000 digital camera. The waterproof covers for the digital can be a few hundred dollars, depending on the size of the camera. Check Canon's web site to get an idea of the cost.

Use your digital away from the water. Have fun! :D

Buy your waterproof disposables at home before you go... on ship and at excursions, they are about 160% to 200% of the cost at your local Target. But DON't put the 400ASA through x-ray @ airport etc. !!

I always buy disposable cameras and film at home and take with me in carry on, and have all of it hand inspected. DO NOT put it in checked luggage, x-rays will ruin the film. Keep it in an easily accessable camera bag to save time. Wal-Mart has the most reasonable prices that I've found. Fuji is as good as Kodak. :)

I always buy disposable cameras and film at home and take with me in carry on, and have all of it hand inspected. DO NOT put it in checked luggage, x-rays will ruin the film. Keep it in an easily accessable camera bag to save time. Wal-Mart has the most reasonable prices that I've found. Fuji is as good as Kodak. :)
Check in luggage goes for Laptops as well... I had a friend who lost his entire hard drive sending a laptop in his checked luggage. (He's an IT manager too!!:D ) X-Rays are MUCH stronger post 9-11.

I have a Canon Power Shot SD400 and a waterproof case is on my wish list. The cheapest I have found is $100 on the web.

I have a used Power shot underwater case that I am looking to sell....what model of powershot do you have?

If you use the disposables, as we do, check out the lever/button to see which kind you like best. One has a lever (Fuji, I think) and the other has a button (Kodak?). I do NOT like the button and find the lever easier to use underwater. Just a personal preference. If you do not use up all the pictures underwater, you can always take great above water pictures with them to finish out the roll.

Have a great cruise!

We bought a Underwater Case for our Canon Powershot and we use it all the time. We always bring it with us on trips. THe kids use it in the pool and we even took it river rafting in Alaska. It's a great way to get shots that you want while your there and not be disappointed when you get it home. :)

That's my husbands camera, I have the Canon Rebel. Depending on where we are going we take both. :)

Misty

Check in luggage goes for Laptops as well... I had a friend who lost his entire hard drive sending a laptop in his checked luggage. (He's an IT manager too!!:D ) X-Rays are MUCH stronger post 9-11.

Something else had to have happened to his hard drive. X-rays do not affect magnetic media such as hard drives.

Something else had to have happened to his hard drive. X-rays do not affect magnetic media such as hard drives.
Thanx Lewdog ! My friend only told me of the data loss when he checked it (and that he won't do that again!). I made the assumption on my own about x-ray. Must be that great big magnet they use to move luggage around...:D

I think I will buy a cover for my camera and bring disposables for the kids.

Giventofly I have a SD400 is your case for this size camera? Were you happy with it?

At the airport last year they asked us to put all our cameras through the x-ray machine. This year I will ask to have them hand checked. I do remember they said it wouldn't hurt the film or cameras.

Thank You everyone for all the information.:)

I usually give the kids a waterproof camera to use when snorkling or just messing around on the beach. They love it! It is some cheap entertainment. ;)

Great idea!!! :D :D Great way to have them contribute to the memories you will have in your album!!!:)

Archived