Cost for Crown Bay To Trunk

JoeFan

I have seen so many people say how much cheaper it is from Crown Bay to Trunk on your own. But I don't see it.

I have seen some people say $27 and not to pay the $58 for the cruise ship excursion. Granted, on your own would get you more time there, but how do you save money?

And do you tip the taxi?

Correct me where I am wrong. I am coming up with at least $54/PP.

image.png.f32235c43f49df81de58c775d2b821bc.png

1 hour ago, JoeFan said:

I have seen so many people say how much cheaper it is from Crown Bay to Trunk on your own. But I don't see it.

I have seen some people say $27 and not to pay the $58 for the cruise ship excursion. Granted, on your own would get you more time there, but how do you save money?

And do you tip the taxi?

Correct me where I am wrong. I am coming up with at least $54/PP.

image.png.f32235c43f49df81de58c775d2b821bc.png

I never said it was cheaper, never done a ship excursion to STJ, I have no idea what they cost, only gone on my own. I go on my own because I'm always on my own, if you feel like your better off doing a ship excursion then you do that. Whatever you feel comfortable with just go. You'll figure it out, your on the right track. You got it.

I give myself $60(US) for my transportation over and back. 

It wasn’t you. I just don’t think people are fair when they give prices on getting there. 

But it’s more expensive than people say. 

The RCI excursion I am looking at is $58 to Trunk Bay and includes snorkeling gear. 

People are just anti cruise excursions. 

9 hours ago, JoeFan said:

It wasn’t you. I just don’t think people are fair when they give prices on getting there. 

But it’s more expensive than people say. 

The RCI excursion I am looking at is $58 to Trunk Bay and includes snorkeling gear. 

People are just anti cruise excursions. 

That's a long story LOL!!

Years ago there really wasn't much competition when it came to shore excursions, with that the cruise lines got to charge pretty much whatever they wanted because there weren't as many options. Now with all the private operators, website's like Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor with all these reviews of people taking these private excursions(99% of which are positive) it's create a very competitive environment when it comes to shore excursions. It's really nice. 

In the last 10 years private excursions have gotten so nice, many of us have become friends with private operators, the cruise lines to remain competitive have had to adjust to that and have. 

Shore excursions are big $$$$ for the cruise lines. 

If your happy with the time frame RCI gives you on Trunk(which really shouldn't be a problem) $58 in all due respect not having to worry about anything is the way to go for you. Especially if this is your first visit. 

Come to think of it I've been going over to Trunk Bay for so long I don't even think there was a shore excursion offered to Trunk when I started this craziness, so going over on my own it's all I know. 

Have a great day on St. John and Trunk Bay on your RCI shore excursion!!

Take care Todd

>> People are just anti cruise excursions. <<

lol...Yes many cruisers, especially those with more experience and who prefer to go on their own rather than be tied to a group schedule will choose the DIY option. And some ports like STT offer excellent transportation options which makes that very easy, even for first-time visitors. As you said you are in control of your time and can enjoy more time there, and the ferry from the ship is a 45 minute ride and can be through rougher water. So there are the two choices you have, and choices are great.

i assume your $ numbers are correct, although I thought the taxi fare between Cruz and Trunk was $7pp. But regardless it is ~$50pp round trip + tip & admission (many go to the other STJ beaches to enjoy the natural beauty away from the crowds too so no admission or amenities). Your $54 total is less than the cruise line $58 so I am confused about your first statement unless you are talking about snorkel gear rental costs? But the cost is a wash to me, and the self-excursion is just our preference buy may not be yours.

Going to STJ is a nice day and Trunk is a beautiful beach, but if snorkeling is important to you take a few moments to read read the recent threads comparing the snorkeling at Trunk to other beaches like Sapphire, Secret Harbour, and Coki. If snorkeling is not so important enjoy Trunk.

Edited by blue_water

I forgot there IS the admissions fee onto Trunk Bay it used to be $4(US) now it's $5(US), $5 dollars (US) is $5 dollars (US) you gotta add that in. 

Yes!! "self-excursion" I love that word btw,(I can't believe we actually agree on something) hopefully he'll migrate into that, WE didn't have anything else if WE wanted to go over to STJ back in the day😃 WE had to have a game plan, I did anyway. Of course by the time I got back to Havensight or Crown Bay my game plan had completely collapsed BUT I made it back to the ship kinda, in one piece kinda. :classic_rolleyes: 

Exactly if your going over to Trunk Bay to snorkel save your time and $$$, stay on St. Thomas and head to Sapphire or Secret Harbour I was at Secret Harbour last Dec., I didn't snorkel but everybody else was and I should have been. 

I've never snorkeled at Sapphire Beach, I just go over there and stop in because it's so nice and peaceful. Beach is awesome.

He's correct again(your on a roll here!!) it IS easy for first time cruisers to go to STJ altogether or Trunk Bay.

I just never had much luck convincing anybody in our CC group to go on their own.

Especially with me!!!!😁 I push it to the limit(everything), I assume they know that, it's understandable, BUT they're missing genuinely the day of their lives. 

54 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

I've never snorkeled at Sapphire Beach, I just go over there and stop in because it's so nice and peaceful. Beach is awesome.

TTEllis

Can you please give me a bit more information about Sapphire. Best way to get there, is there amenities, food, drinks etc. We'll be there Monday and so far it's looking like Sapphire may be getting our group of 4's vote. 

Sapphire is one of the nicer East End beaches on STT, you can find brief descriptions of the more popular beaches in the link below, and if you search using “Sapphire” you’ll find some great  reviews from recent visitors. Sapphire is our favorite beach for the beautiful water colors, island views, snorkeling, and just the vibe...beach bar and food, rental center and restrooms, lounges and umbrella prices are in the second link below. Just hop a taxi at the port, and taxis stop in at Sapphire to transport folks back. Highly recommend going on your own. Taxi fare is $10pp or $11pp each way.

Nice day that!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Sapphire is one of the nicer East End beaches on STT, you can find brief descriptions of the more popular beaches in the link below, and if you search using “Sapphire” you’ll find some great  reviews from recent visitors. Sapphire is our favorite beach for the beautiful water colors, island views, snorkeling, and just the vibe...beach bar and food, rental center and restrooms, lounges and umbrella prices are in the second link below. Just hop a taxi at the port, and taxis stop in at Sapphire to transport folks back. Highly recommend going on your own. Taxi fare is $10pp or $11pp each way.

Nice day that!

Any new bars or restaurants on Sapphire Beach?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Any new bars or restaurants on Sapphire Beach?

We haven’t been since Irma but owners have told me the Banana Cabana closed and as BlueSkiesTX noted there is a new beach bar and restaurant by the dive center, not sure it is more a grill than restaurant, perhaps Beautiful Bill can help if he happens to see this...

Edited by blue_water

One more question. Our cruise next week is stopping at all of the Virgin Islands. Years ago when I was in the Navy our ship stopped in St. Maarten and it seems to me like we had to do something to get a different currency. I don't like to usually carry a lot of cash but is that still the case in the Islands? Or do they take American dollars? Sorry for the silly questions. Don't have much time to do a lot of research right now.

5 hours ago, blue_water said:

>> People are just anti cruise excursions. <<

lol...Yes many cruisers, especially those with more experience and who prefer to go on their own rather than be tied to a group schedule will choose the DIY option. And some ports like STT offer excellent transportation options which makes that very easy, even for first-time visitors. As you said you are in control of your time and can enjoy more time there, and the ferry from the ship is a 45 minute ride and can be through rougher water. So there are the two choices you have, and choices are great.

i assume your $ numbers are correct, although I thought the taxi fare between Cruz and Trunk was $7pp. But regardless it is ~$50pp round trip + tip & admission (many go to the other STJ beaches to enjoy the natural beauty away from the crowds too so no admission or amenities). Your $54 total is less than the cruise line $58 so I am confused about your first statement unless you are talking about snorkel gear rental costs? But the cost is a wash to me, and the self-excursion is just our preference buy may not be yours.

Going to STJ is a nice day and Trunk is a beautiful beach, but if snorkeling is important to you take a few moments to read read the recent threads comparing the snorkeling at Trunk to other beaches like Sapphire, Secret Harbour, and Coki. If snorkeling is not so important enjoy Trunk.

I mean the cost is what it is. I just see so many people low ball it. I am like how do you round trip that at $27/PP??? It's impossible. Maybe one way. 

I would do it on my own, but we will be there 12PM to 8PM which is a weird time. 

I am also confused about one point someone else said on another thread. To beat feet off St. Johns at 4PM even with a departure time of 8PM. 

So even do it on your own or go with RCI, it's still only 4 hours. 
So not sure it is worth it for 2 hours of beach time at $200 plus for our family of 4.

I would love to experience Trunk, but the hours just don't make sense?

My question to you is this - Are you interested in good snorkeling? If the answer is YES then look at the other options I mentioned. If the answer is NO then only you can decide if going to STJ is worth the added cost (~$30pp) or travel time (1 - 1.5 hrs). If you do go to STJ and your BOB time is 7:30PM, I would suggest taking the 5PM ferry.

If the cruise line cost is $58 as you said, the cost is a wash, just choose the beach based on your requirements, and if going to STJ choose the transportation based on your comfort level.

Edited by blue_water

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

My question to you is this - Are you interested in good snorkeling? If the answer is YES then look at the other options I mentioned. If the answer is NO then only you can decide if going to STJ is worth the added cost (~$30pp) or travel time (1 - 1.5 hrs). If you do go to STJ and your BOB time is 7:30PM, I would suggest taking the 5PM ferry.

If the cruise line cost is $58 as you said, the cost is a wash, just choose the beach based on your requirements, and if going to STJ choose the transportation based on your comfort level.

Snorkeling isn't a priority.

Just the view and water is my main goal. I have seen some lovely pictures. Is there something on ST, as nice?

There is a cheaper St. Johns on your own that just deals with getting you to Cruz Bay.

Since we get there at 12, the earliest ferry to Cruz Bay would 1PM so, I would guess we would be to Trunk by 2PM and we should leave Trunk at 4:15PM to get the 5PM Ferry. So still only about 2 hours of beach time.

4 hours ago, JoeFan said:

Snorkeling isn't a priority.

Just the view and water is my main goal. I have seen some lovely pictures. Is there something on ST, as nice?

There is a cheaper St. Johns on your own that just deals with getting you to Cruz Bay.

Since we get there at 12, the earliest ferry to Cruz Bay would 1PM so, I would guess we would be to Trunk by 2PM and we should leave Trunk at 4:15PM to get the 5PM Ferry. So still only about 2 hours of beach time.

Sapphire would be our choice, especially with a later arrival...Did you watch the drone video in post #9???

On 7/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, kimmycrs said:

One more question. Our cruise next week is stopping at all of the Virgin Islands. Years ago when I was in the Navy our ship stopped in St. Maarten and it seems to me like we had to do something to get a different currency. I don't like to usually carry a lot of cash but is that still the case in the Islands? Or do they take American dollars? Sorry for the silly questions. Don't have much time to do a lot of research right now.

You say you are stopping at "all" the Virgin Islands. Both the British and the US Virgin Islands deal in the US dollar. St Thomas, St Croix, St John, and Water Island comprise the US Virgins, which is an American territory. St Maarten is Dutch and St Martin is French, which is why you had to change currency.