Capri On Our Own?

shellgoodman

Leaving in a month and I still can't figure out if I want to do a group tour or do Capri on our own. We just want to spend a full day in Capri. I'm worried about standing in long lines for hydrofoil, funicular, chairlifts, etc. I thought I saw a tour outfit that purchases all tickets for you in advance although I can't remember if that included the hydrofoil or not. A boat tour around the island is preferred over the Blue Grotto if there is a long wait. I was thinking that once we get to Capri, we take a taxi to Anacapri right away. Is this a good strategy? 

Capri is easy on your own providing you have plenty of time. We were off the ship early and walked across to the hydrofoil which left around 8am. When you arrive I would advise you to walk to the return ticket office to your right and book your return ticket, therefore ensuring you get on the hydrofoil at the time you need. You can then take a bus to Anacapri  but I would advise sharing a taxi as the bus queue was very long.  It's a lovely place to wander around with great shops and ice cream, and you can take the chairlift to the top where there are spectacular views and a cafe.

• Like 1

Taking a taxi on Capri is more than just transportation, it's quite an experience.  It's worth it for the efficiency (you can waste hours waiting on lines for buses and the funicolare on Capri in the summer) but also for the fun of it.  I agree with the advice to immediately get in a taxi upon arrival at Marina Grande and head up to Anacapri.

The lines to buy ferry tickets can be long in the morning but I don't know if buying them in advance on line helps, I think you still have to wait on line to exchange your voucher for an actual ticket.  Maybe someone who has done this lately can share their experience, it would be nice if they have a separate line to do this as they do at Pompei.  I've always just bought my tickets when I'm ready to go but the only time I did it during the summer we waited until mid-day to head over to Capri so there was no line at that point.

If the company you buy your outbound ticket with has an acceptable return time I would buy the return at the same time.  If they don't have a return time that works for you, you can buy the return upon arrival on Capri or, if you have time to kill in Naples before your departure, wait on the line for the ferry company with the return you want and buy it there.  If you've got to hang around waiting you might as well make the time productive.

• Like 1