Help Picking Food Lover Tour in Barcelona

Hi,

I'm looking at 2 food lover tours in Barcelona.  Does anyone have any feedback to help me choose one over the other.  We are in Barcelona 3.5 days pre-cruise and thought about doing the food tour the night before the cruise.  Online they are recommending doing it one of your first nights because they give great insight into the city for your other days.

Option 1:

https://foodlovertour.com/barcelona/tapas-lover-tour/

4 hours 94 Euros

Option 2:

https://foodloverscompany.com/barcelona-food-tour/

4 hours 140 Euro

Recommended by Rick Steve's

• Like 1

I was just in barcelona  last month and did a tour with FOOD WINES TOUR called TAPAS EVENING WALKING TOUR OF BARCELONA.  It was at:

Tours, Tapas & Friends: Gastronomic Center, Carrer del Pintor Fortuny, 10 - 14, 08001 Barcelona, Spain

It was $80 per person and was excellent.  We got a walking tour of the gothic quarter, a tour and tastings at the Boqueria, candy tasting, and multiple tapas with drinks at two different restaurants.  I was very impressed.  Booked through Viator.

I did food lovers tour and while it was excellent food, the conversation became slightly political. Basically the guide, another couple from Norway and a couple from NYC kept making generalizations about Americans and how pathetic our work ethic was, our president was and the nyc couple kept apologizing for her fellow Americans. Being involved with military and a proud American I found it insulting and was not happy to mix politics with food. Of course my husband had enough after a while and started mentioning what he and I do for a living and how hard we work to take these trips so eventually everyone got the hint we didnt appreciate the US bashing nor the mixing of politics with food. Just a lot of money to be lectured to. Other than that 20 minutes, the tour was pretty good. I'm trying bon appetour this time which has a 330pm start in November

• Like 1

jean87510 – Thank you and DH for your service!  We had a guide like that in France once, but luckily what she was ranting about was French politics.  Since we can't vote there, it didn't affect France; but it did affect her tip! :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

I'ts a toss up some of its going to boil down to comfort with atmosphere. My guess is that the latter may include one or two true restaurant stops which will require a bit of sit down and conversation around the restaurant itself and the dishes, including tastes of typical catalan dishes. We did something like the latter that was centered on just one restaurant, one table and a variety of small plates, one shared large platter entree and lots of wonderful wine. The true tapas experience is more bar like, even involving standup while rubbing elbows with other patrons. They tend towards the smaller size (except for those that are part of chains), so smaller might mean less comfortable for some and harder for your small group to be together physically. The latter again I suspect means more lingering and sitting at each of the four spots. No personal experience with either company 

Edited by grnrab
typo