Ovation and Trollfjord

Kate-AHF

We were sailing on the Ovation in June, and were scheduled to sail into Trollfjord on the 13th.  This event was stated in the publicized itin, and on that day's Currents to occur at 6:45 pm.  Showtimes were moved to accommodate this event.  Capt.  Pedder came on in the afternoon to tell us that the Norwegian authorities had denied permission, despite optimal weather, and despite the Ovation having sailed the fjord before.  The reason given was that they were no longer allowing ships exceeding 185 meters to sail in.  The Ovation was 215 meters.  Capt. Pedder also said he had gotten Seattle involved to try to reverse this decision, to no avail.

Well, we were so very disappointed - but such is life.  A couple of days later, Capt. Pedder gave us another evening of Fjord cruising (which was wonderful) - and in an unexpected gesture, Seabourn gave everyone on board this cruise $150 in OBC.

Now I read, on another thread, that Ovation just cruised cruised Trollfjord.  I wish I could find out exactly what happened to reverse this "decree".

We were on the Ovation last year and inched our way right to the end of Trollfjord - an extraordinary feat of navigation.  We were on board the ship but maybe those in the zodiacs had the more amazing view of the fjord and the huge ship.  BTW renting a car on the Lofoten Islands was the highlight of the entire trip.

IMG_9365.jpg

Hi Kate

Ovation did indeed do the Trollfjord spin in July. I have no idea why the restriction was lifted but I'm sure it must have been in place when you visited or I don't think Seabourn would have extended the OBC. We were very lucky with the weather, apparently 10 knots is the cut-off point.  I was lucky enough to have viewed the event from a Zodiac and it was indeed spectacular.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 12:15 PM, cece50 said:

Oh My Fletcher....that is one amazing photo.  Love the Ovation.....had the pleasure of sailing her this past May.

I agree! That is an amazing photo!  And we love the Ovation as well.  

• Like 1