Cunard V Princess Differences

Tingaling0

Hi looking for help as we are thinking of taking 2 Queen Mary back to back cruises and have not cruised on Cunard before. We are normally Princess cruisers. What are the biggest differences/ similar things? Thanks Jeanette

Someone asked a similar question on a different social platform last week and here were my replies (After the first, I decided to add the second) Realize that this was in a Princess group. Hope it's helpful.

Of course the key difference is Cunard proudly maintains many traditional aspects of the classic cruise experience including enforced dress codes and fixed dining with two seatings in Britannia. Beyond that, the service attitude is a bit more low key than Princess, but with generally high levels of training.
I found the food to be roughly comparable, but of course, this is the most subjective aspect of the experience. Always available items are comparable, but on Cunard, you must request them or ask help from the server who may suggest them, whereas they are clearly printed on the menu on Princess.
On sea days, Cunard reigns the seas. World class lecturers, many activities. (and the QM2, being purpose-built for crossings has extra interior space). Whereas Princess has a sorry set of bookshelves in the corner on most ships, Cunard has extensive libraries aboard, with professional librarians.
Cunard's live entertainment is more oriented to classical musicians and performances than Princess (there's lots of live music throughout the ships) but Princess is tops these days with production shows.

Personally, we love Cunard (there is no experience we've found to rival a North Atlantic crossing on the QM2) and are comfortable with the more formal atmosphere. However, we find the level of quality on Princess in service, food, and general product to be roughly equivalent at the Britannia level, if a bit different. (And since Princess has a very California to mid-American attitude, this San Franciscan from the Midwest feels right at home) And, since we can pop onto cheap little cruises a short cab ride away from home, they're extra appealing. (But they generally feed our need to cruise in between Cunard trips.)
- - -
More comparisons
- There's more activity in the activities in many cases on Princess
- Although we're not big buffet fans, we find Princess buffet a bit superior to Cunard, especially in the hours of service.

- Cunard offers breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms even on port days. At breakfast, the extensive menu has many options for Brits like beans, grilled tomatoes, non-crisp bacon (American-style is called "streaky bacon) Unlike Princess, there are no daily breakfast specials.
- Pub lunches are available every day at no extra charge in the Golden Lion Pub (as opposed to once or twice during a Princess cruise - they also serve for enough time to accommodate a couple of seatings) and the Afternoon Tea is NOT to be missed.
- If it's a factor to you, I think Princess still uses fresh water in the pools, but Cunard like most lines, uses seawater. and the pool and deck areas are more extensive on Princess ships. (But Cunard has real promenade decks, with teak on the QM2)
- There is no equivalent to Movies Under the Stars on Cunard.
- Whereas many Princess ships are getting fast internet and non-timed packages, Cunard is still first generation with expensive by-the-minute pricing. Princess has apps and onboard technology but Cunard has nothing like them. (Don't even think about Medallions)

29 minutes ago, Tingaling0 said:

Hi Many thanks for taking the time to post. Jeanette

Glad to help. Enjoy!
A couple of other notes
- Detergent is free of charge and supplied in the laundrettes
Also - I just noticed that you're from NZ. I believe Princess, like others, tends to send their older, more tired ships down to the Australia & New Zealand markets. If your experience is with the Sea Princess and the like, you may find the QM2 a stylish step up. (Although she isn't much younger). And, since the original question elsewhere was from someone taking the Queen Elizabeth, I didn't mention it, but the QM2 has Illuminations, which is a lecture hall, planetarium, and movie theater (in addition to the showroom and the ballroom/second stage) - something no other ship has.

Edited by MarkBearSF

14 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

- There is no equivalent to Movies Under the Stars on Cunard.

True, but as a movie theatre, Illuminations is better than many land-based cinemas I've been to. I don't see movies in theatres much at home but I make a point to see a few when I'm on QM2 (I just wish they had popcorn...).

• Like 1