First Family cruise. MSC Seaview next week

mj9

Good evening,

Completely new to this forum, I've been searching and reading posts for last couple of days and getting overwhelmed with information.

Going on our first Family cruise (me, wife and 2 boys 15yr & 12) next week from Barcelona.

Really excited but is it ok to run through different bits so people can guide/point me in the right direction

So..

1. We've been given am embarking time of 2.30pm, is it possible to get there early or is this frowned upon?

2. We've booked the easy drink package, £168 for adults and £77 for the kids. I know we're allowed drinks up to 6 euros so roughly 4 drinks a day to break even is doable.

I also liked the idea of the kids getting milkshakes etc without having to ask, am i right in thinking they can get milkshakes, hot chocolates etc or just fizzy drinks

3. Is it worth getting the total digital photo package. At the moment its on offer for £80 per cabin

4. Is it worth getting the wifi package for 1 phone, does the ship have public wifi in places. I'm self-employed, so whilst I enjoy getting away from it, I also need to be contactable at some point

5. Slightly nervous about the boys on board, whilst there good kids, I will worry when not in view. Whats the best way to stay in contact. I've read post-it notes in the room, can anyone recommend walkie talkies or is their a system on board for keeping an eye on them?  

6. Is it possible to get a table for 4 rather than share a big table?

I'll start with this for now if ok, I have other questions about ports etc but would love to hear your feedback

Thanks for your time

3 hours ago, mj9 said:

Good evening,

Completely new to this forum, I've been searching and reading posts for last couple of days and getting overwhelmed with information.

Going on our first Family cruise (me, wife and 2 boys 15yr & 12) next week from Barcelona.

Really excited but is it ok to run through different bits so people can guide/point me in the right direction

So..

1. We've been given am embarking time of 2.30pm, is it possible to get there early or is this frowned upon?

2. We've booked the easy drink package, £168 for adults and £77 for the kids. I know we're allowed drinks up to 6 euros so roughly 4 drinks a day to break even is doable.

I also liked the idea of the kids getting milkshakes etc without having to ask, am i right in thinking they can get milkshakes, hot chocolates etc or just fizzy drinks

3. Is it worth getting the total digital photo package. At the moment its on offer for £80 per cabin

4. Is it worth getting the wifi package for 1 phone, does the ship have public wifi in places. I'm self-employed, so whilst I enjoy getting away from it, I also need to be contactable at some point

5. Slightly nervous about the boys on board, whilst there good kids, I will worry when not in view. Whats the best way to stay in contact. I've read post-it notes in the room, can anyone recommend walkie talkies or is their a system on board for keeping an eye on them?  

6. Is it possible to get a table for 4 rather than share a big table?

I'll start with this for now if ok, I have other questions about ports etc but would love to hear your feedback

Thanks for your time

Welcome to Cruise Critic! The MSC Seaview is my personal favorite ship (you can expand my signature to see which ships I have been on across the different lines I've sailed), and my cruise on her was also my favorite of all time. I can rave all day about the MSC Seaview. I will try my best to answer your questions, as I can only provide accurate claims to a few of them based on my own experience.

1) You can definitely show up early, we did the same thing. We were told 2:30PM but were onboard by 12 noon. When we did it, though, they were still using boarding groups, so we did need to sit and wait for about 20 minutes until our specific group/zone was called to board. Groups were assigned when you entered the terminal, they handed me a small laminated thing to present to keep moving through security once called.

3) I say so, that way you can pack a bunch of good outfits for photos and be prepared to get some nice ones made on vacation.

4) I did not get wifi on the Seaview (or any cruise of mine for that matter), but I do remember hearing people comment on how it was exceptionally good in comparison to other ships and lines they had been on. Maybe it was because we never stray too far from land while in the Med, or maybe because the ship is brand new and has better technology, I don't know. But, if you're self-employed and need to be reachable, then yes, get it for one phone.

5) To my knowledge, MSC doesn't have an app like Royal and Carnival do at this point in time. So, your best bet is either walkie-talkies, or small notes. I personally think that walkie talkies are not only a hassle for you and your family (your boys will not want to carry it around when they go to play basketball), but to other guests (you don't know how many times on accident walkie talkies go off because people leave them on during dinner or a show ... very annoying). Personally, maybe try getting a small whiteboard at the dollar store and bringing it, and start a system where you can all write where you'll be, when you'll be back, etc. Shouldn't be more than a dollar or two. Or, maybe do a system where you all meet for dinner each night at the restaurant or an hour before dinner at the cabin, and then you can plan out the rest of your night when you all convene. Just a thought.

6) Try to email the maitre'd, his email should be found on the MSC website in your reservation. Request a four top.

I hope I helped in whatever ways I could, happy cruising!

"4. Is it worth getting the wifi package for 1 phone, does the ship have public wifi in places. I'm self-employed, so whilst I enjoy getting away from it, I also need to be contactable at some point"

I have never used the WiFi package on-board however, if you are from the UK or anywhere in the EU you'll be able to use your phone in Spain, Italy, France etc and consume your data/mins attached to your normal package at no extra cost due to EU Roaming (Brexit will likely ruin this perk!! 🤬). Because you will be in the in the Med and there are no sea days I'd say that other than overnight sailings between ports when you're at sea you'll get a signal the vast majority of the time without having to fork out for the wifi package. When docked, as the ship will be most of your waking day you'll get a signal from the land masts just fine, even from the ship without having to seek out wifi spots on-board, plus use your phone when roaming around your port destination.

17 hours ago, mj9 said:

MSC for Me app can be used on MSC Seaview, which includes a free messaging facility:

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/on-board/internet-apps/msc-for-me

Edited by BarcoUK

19 hours ago, mj9 said:

1-  From what I understand, show up anytime.  Usually more crowded at first boarding because people want to get on ship quicker (me!!).

4-  Not sure if you are American or European...Check with your phone carrier.  With T-Mobile...Free date in France, Italy, and Greece (from my trip this June).  Not 4K, but pretty dang fast.  Free texting - so you could stay in contact with family members on board and with work at home.  Phone calls over phone lines were between 20 and 25 cents a minute.  You can also make calls over the internet (if you know how to do this).

A lot of other phone carriers offer 'cruise packages', so might be worth it to make the call to your carrier and check.

Have an amazing trip.  We are on MSC Seaside in February!!!

We prepurchased the light internet package. It was reasonably priced and more than sufficient for email, social media and some general browsing. We had data allowance left over at the end of our seven night cruise and best of all it was the fastest internet we've had on any cruise line.

Hi,

I'm on the same cruise next week from Cannes. One thing I picked up on is having your boys in eyes view. One thing I always say to cruisers with children over 7 is let them go off and do there thing. My boy is 9 and I hardly see him in the day. He's happy exploring and I know he's safe. This is my 16th cruise and just relax and let them be free.

Marcus

Many thanks for your prompt replies. Going to leave the wifi as we're in port every day but maybe put that towards the photo package.

How many pictures would normally be taken throughout the week, is it just for special evenings or is there a photographer walking around all day.

Am I right in thinking with the digital package, we'll get all our pics on a website or disk for us to develop?

4 minutes ago, mj9 said:

Oh and another one..

With the drinks package, do you have to leave or pay a tip? How does it work?

Can you get drinks as soon as you get on board

No need to leave a tip.  Your package is valid from the time you step onboard.  There'll be a code on your cruisecard indicating the package you have.