CMV Magellan

Wombat wills

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

You may find that a bag of laundry is free on a long voyage. Mebbe two on a 42-day cruise.:classic_smile:

JB :classic_smile:

Not a chance JB!

We did this exact same cruise in 2018 and we spent over £100 on laundry. We washed smalls ourselves. I think there were some stuff-a-bag offers at maybe £15 a time.

Edited by SteveH2508

47 minutes ago, Wombat wills said:

Thank you. I was hoping someone might have a laundry list so I can estimate expenditure On a long voyage like this. But £100 seems ok. It’s easy wash smalls by hand. Stuff a bag sounds good too if they offer it.

Just found some more info from a letter we sent post-cruise: "£1 to wash a pair of socks. Also £1 to wash 1 piece of underwear, tights/hosiery. Believe it not £1.50 to wash a scarf. They did do a few ‘stuff the bag for £15’ offers however".

2 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Just found some more info from a letter we sent post-cruise: "£1 to wash a pair of socks. Also £1 to wash 1 piece of underwear, tights/hosiery. Believe it not £1.50 to wash a scarf. They did do a few ‘stuff the bag for £15’ offers however".

Yikes.I wouldn't pay those prices - If ever I take a 42 day cruise with C&MV  I'll pack a second pair of underpants.:classic_wink:

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Yikes.I wouldn't pay those prices - If ever I take a 42 day cruise with C&MV  I'll pack a second pair of underpants.:classic_wink:

42 days = 6 weeks - that's 3 pairs worn inside out for the second fourth and sixth weeks:classic_wink:

Now, how many pairs of socks do you need to wear with your sandals?😷

42 days = 6 weeks - that's 3 pairs worn inside out for the second fourth and sixth weeks:classic_wink:

Depends if you wear them all at the same time or not

42 minutes ago, Wombat wills said:

Depends if you wear them all at the same time or not

England in January you may want several layers - Amazon in January definitely not!

This is one of the challenges of this cruise - you will need both warm and cold weather clothing.

Beware the Magellan cough as well - it is endemic to the ship and is a real b*st*rd to shift. Bring plenty of strong cough/cold/chest medication (whisky/brandy worked quite well for me BTW).

4 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Hey, I'm a pensioner - I can't afford to splash a load of money on a third pair :classic_rolleyes:.

But no worry with socks - I nearly always get a pair at Christmas. But I don't wear them with sandals - they don't look too healthy by August :classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Hey, I'm a pensioner - I can't afford to splash a load of money on a third pair :classic_rolleyes:.

But no worry with socks - I nearly always get a pair at Christmas. But I don't wear them with sandals - they don't look too healthy by August :classic_ohmy:

Possibly too much information here but what the hell: I have at least 14 pairs of serviceable socks and undies on the go - thus anything less than a 12 day cruise is covered.

BTW I do not wear sandals so that the 'sock issue' is moot. I don't usually do shorts either - the world is just not ready for my legs!

BTW I am also a pensioner - I can manage the odd cruise and a pair of socks or two and shreddies on my pittance.:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by SteveH2508
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wombat wills said:

That’s great for you but I’m on for 42 days. Maybe you could send me any spare stuff to the ship....... non returnable!

Hey mate - just passing on our experiences from the same cruise 2 years ago. You've got 4 months to save up for your socks - I'm sure you have M&S up nooorth?:classic_wink:

13 hours ago, Wombat wills said:

Hahaha Primark I think will be cheaper!

Or even Poundland... the one at Tynemouth is the favourite shop for the crews of the cruise ships, who send out their friends with vast shopping lists for chocolate, crisps etc on turn around day!  😀

Don't know if they do socks, though...