Gibraltar Shopping

Our ship doesn't leave port until 10pm, but our tour is going to be finished by 5pm. If we get dropped off in town, is there a shuttle to get back to the cruise pier?

Also, are there shops for souvenirs such as post cards, shot glasses, t-shirts etc. near the port? 

The busy shopping area is on Main Street, a 20=-25 minute walk from the ship. I've never heard of any cruise ship offering a shuttle. Taxi drivers at the port will be reticent about such a short fare when they can be doing tours, but a taxi back to the ship shouldn't be a problem. Taxi ranks just off Main Street, which is mainly pedstrianised.

Be a bit careful when shopping.

Prices are in £ and €, so check up-to-date exchange rates & be prepared to do some quick mental arithmetic cos the two prices don't always make sense..

Also be careful that you're charged the advertised price - sometimes the price tickets refer to the goods on the shelf above, sometimes the shelf below.  Obvious if you buy one item, not so obvious when you buy several. 

Prices of booze and smokes are low, but vary a lot, so do shop around for these things - and be aware of what you are allowed to take home.

On electronics like tablets & cameras & watches, Gib is a dumping ground for last-year's models. If you go intending to buy, take with you exact model numbers and features and home prices. 

If using a card, make sure that it's charged in the advertised currency (£ or €), don't let them charge in CAD or USD etc cos they use lousy exchange rates.

I've made it sound like they're all rogues :classic_rolleyes:.  They're not all rogues but some are.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Whenever we've shopped for duty free in Gibraltar - and we have shopped around - we've always found the cheapest place to be the Duty Free shop in the port. You will have no problem finding all the things you want in the port shops and, as said, there isn't a shuttle back to the port from the centre.

41 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Whenever we've shopped for duty free in Gibraltar - and we have shopped around - we've always found the cheapest place to be the Duty Free shop in the port. You will have no problem finding all the things you want in the port shops and, as said, there isn't a shuttle back to the port from the centre.

So leading on from that, check the port shop prices (and ship's alcohol & smokes prices) before you head into town

JB :classic_smile:

I will say from experience that there are sometimes “shuttles” from the port.  However the shuttles are actually taxis that are just going backwards and forwards from the ship.  

Typical able-bodied people do not need to get the shuttle.  It is a 15 minute walk, completely flat all the way.  

I would agree with John Bull about checking exchange rates.  I would suggest that you pay in sterling.  You can easily get sterling from any of the exchange shops in town.  They do not charge commission.    

I am not sure that the price of alcohol varies so much if you are comparing like for like.  If you compare Gordon’s and Hendricks, then the price will be different.  Gordon’s for Gordon’s - I have not noticed a deal-breaking difference.  

I am not sure that there are any more rogues in Gibraltar than any other country with a population of 30,000 !  

Thank you all for your thoughts on my question. I'm  looking mainly  for some post cards for my scrapbooking, and I buy a shot glass and shooter glass whenever we are somewhere new. If I can get those right at the port, then I will just come back to the ship. 🙂