Italian trains

Cruiseaholic07

We are planning on using the train from FCO to Venice and then back to Termini. Post cruise we are taking train back to the airport. My first question is it better to use the trenitalia website or a website like italirail? My second question is in reference to the ticket validation how does that work?  Do ticket sales ever come pre validated? If not where do we do this?  Last question, when leaving Venice for Rome, do we need to purchase that in advance or can we do it day of?

Edited by jcu1210

I would recommend trenitalia.com. I believe all purchases there are pre-validated...but I could be wrong. If your ticket needs to be validated,  there are yellow machines in the train stations to validate.

Longer hauls like Venice to Rome sell out. The cheapest tickets are on trenitalia.com at first issuance,  4 months out.

Trenitalia and Italotreno are two separate rail companies in Italy. Most of the information on CC has to do with Trenitalia trains/schedules as it has been around longer. If you plan to travel with them buy the tickets from their website direct: trenitalia.com

No train with reserved seats requires validation at the station. Your receipt or ticket with the date/time and reserved seat number is your validation. If you purchase online, you'll get a receipt and an e-ticket with a QR code. You can print it out or just show it on your phone.

The fast trains CAN sell out but it's not so common. On days where there are several cruise ships in port in Venice, you might run into some sellouts on the popular morning train times though.

I get emails from Italo with discount codes. You may want to check them out.

funny, I get the emails in Italian, so I had to use google translate, but this is the info, and I believe they have a direct train from Venice to Rome.

It's not yet time to return!
 Travel with discounts up to -30%.
  Travel with Italo and save up to -30%.
 Buy a ticket before 09/09 using the promo code RETURN and travel from September 24th to December 14th.

2 minutes ago, MCazer said:

I get emails from Italo with discount codes. You may want to check them out.

funny, I get the emails in Italian, so I had to use google translate, but this is the info, and I believe they have a direct train from Venice to Rome.

It's not yet time to return!
 Travel with discounts up to -30%.
  Travel with Italo and save up to -30%.
 Buy a ticket before 09/09 using the promo code RETURN and travel from September 24th to December 14th.

Trenitalia also offers discounts, mainly for purchases made well in advance of travel. You can get some flat-out deals on the fast trains.

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Trenitalia also offers discounts, mainly for purchases made well in advance of travel. You can get some flat-out deals on the fast trains.

Yes, and I am trying Trenitalia to Florence, and Italo Florence to Rome, to try both out!