Ritz Carlton ship delay & Apex Question

SempreMare

When I read this

https://onemileatatime.com/ritz-carlton-yacht-delay/

I thought about the Apex. Any news on how confident Celebrity is that the Apex will be completed on time?

Has a Celebrity ship ever not been completed on time for its first cruise sold?

If yes, what did they offer their guests booked?
Similar to what Ritz Carlton cruise lines offered above?

15 hours ago, SempreMare said:
When I read this

https://onemileatatime.com/ritz-carlton-yacht-delay/

I thought about the Apex. Any news on how confident Celebrity is that the Apex will be completed on time?

Has a Celebrity ship ever not been completed on time for its first cruise sold?

If yes, what did they offer their guests booked?
Similar to what Ritz Carlton cruise lines offered above?

X new builds are often delivered early.

When that happens they add preview cruises and offer guests already booked the opportunity to move their reservations if they would like to (and are able to).

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Thanks 1

It is a different story. Celebrity Apex is not the first on his class, so there is a lot less uncertainty.

I do not know the cause of the delay on the Yacht, but there can be many integration problems, which easily delay things. (Apex is not the first of the class), but also the ship is not just steal, there is much about internal design and furniture. This can easily cause delay, from project to prototypes, and seeing problems, and so new iteration. Then from new items to delivery and integration.

Celebrity ships are not 100% new: many cabins are similar to existing ships, so with well know manufacturer and procedures (and so a lot more how-know). Celebrity is known also to test new cabins in existing ships (e.g. the infinite veranda), this reduces uncertainty.

The Ritz Carlton Yacht seems to be a very "different" ship, and I assume they tried hard to be different. but this means that it is much more complex to project and to build.

3 hours ago, Cirdan said:

This can easily cause delay, from project to prototypes, and seeing problems, and so new iteration. Then from new items to delivery and integration.

Agreed.  It is also worth noting neither Ritz Carlton nor the shipyard they contracted with have built a cruise ship before (the yards closest previous experience is ferries).  Celebrity (and by extension RCCL) and its contractors have a lot of experience building cruise ships.

The Celebrity team is building another copy of a ship that is already sailing.  The Ritz team is starting from scratch with less institutional experience.  Something can always go wrong, but X/RCCL and their contractors are in a better position to anticipate and resolve problems.