If no one in the room can go, can different people take their place?

Cruiser24

My son and his family are scheduled to leave on the Grandeur Saturday, 5 days to Bermuda.   He is in the hospital with chest pains and will probably not be able to go.  If he doesn't go, none of them will go and nope, they don't have insurance.  Since the cruise is paid for, would RCL allow totally different people to go in their place?  I have a feeling someone with the same last name still needs to be in the room but just checking.

Edited by Cruiser24

Thanks.  I thought that was the answer.  I wonder if my 3 year old grandson would count?  We have adjoining rooms and would probably still take him.   After we get on, he could move to our room and friends could stay in that room.  Hmmm...

32 minutes ago, Cruiser24 said:

Thanks.  I thought that was the answer.  I wonder if my 3 year old grandson would count?  We have adjoining rooms and would probably still take him.   After we get on, he could move to our room and friends could stay in that room.  Hmmm...

That should work. 

1 hour ago, awestover89 said:

One of the original names must stay on the booking, so say if it was your son and his wife in the room, you could change the name of one of the two, but not both. 

So if she changes one of the names to hers and then the other doesn't show, what happens? Just curious if this circumvents the dilemma.

44 minutes ago, deepcman said:

So if she changes one of the names to hers and then the other doesn't show, what happens? Just curious if this circumvents the dilemma.

There would be no problem with there being a no show (in fact, the new single person would get double points for cruising solo)

Basically say Bob and Alice book a room on a cruise and they can't go. They decide to gift it to Alice's sister Carol. They change one name so it's now Alice and Carol in the room. Alice doesn't show up, so Carol cruises solo. No issues.

If Carol also wanted her husband Dave to join her, then there'd be a problem because one of the original names has to stay the same

3 hours ago, Cruiser24 said:

Thank you for the replies.  Thankfully it was just muscle spasms and all is well.  We'll all be cruising come Saturday.  

We had a similar situation on a Princess Cruise.  My wife and I booked 2 cabins. One for us and one for her Dad and his companion.  Unfortunately he passed away about 5 weeks before sailing.  His companion didn’t want to go so we left her name on the booking and changed my father in laws name to my brothers name.  He went solo and she was basically a no show at check in.