RC Visa Cruise Rewards Points question

If I purchase under "Onboard credits/amenities" the $150 onboard credit and I book Chops for the two of us... will they automatically take it out of the credit?

There are two options... single or shared.  So... single means the whole $150 goes onto my account and shared would put $75 on my account and $75 on my husband's account?  If shared, would they take the cost out of both of our accounts?

Oh, and how far in advance are you supposed to do the transaction?  A month before the cruise?  I cruise in August 2020.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, royal girl said:

If I purchase under "Onboard credits/amenities" the $150 onboard credit and I book Chops for the two of us... will they automatically take it out of the credit?

Nope, you can specify at check out if you want to apply the credit towards the purchase or use a credit card.

There are two options... single or shared.  So... single means the whole $150 goes onto my account and shared would put $75 on my account and $75 on my husband's account?  If shared, would they take the cost out of both of our accounts?

Single means (in theory) the entire $150 would go into your account.  BofA and/or Royal isn't so good with this because my then-boyfriend was able to snipe my $100 credit I got from points.  I was NOT happy.  Shared means the whole thing will show up on the cruise planner for both of you and the first person to use it gets it (this is how my credit got swiped).

Oh, and how far in advance are you supposed to do the transaction?  A month before the cruise?  I cruise in August 2020.

At least a week before sailing.  I just cashed in my points for OBC last week for a cruise I'm going on on the 27th.

Thanks!

Just FYI,

you can go to guest services on the ship and have on board credits transferred to another sea pass account. My wife and I have done this several times in the past. Sometimes we forget to order double occupancy credits and chose single occupancy credits when redeeming our visa points. They would end up on my wife’s sea pass account. Easy enough to fix at guest services. They just subtract from one account and transfer them to the other ( we both have separate on board accounts, different credit cards).

Edited by TomC21

56 minutes ago, royal girl said:

If I purchase under "Onboard credits/amenities" the $150 onboard credit and I book Chops for the two of us... will they automatically take it out of the credit? ...

The OBC from Visa points might not show up in your Cruise Planner until a few weeks before the cruise.  If the OBC is not in your Cruise Planner, you cannot use it for purchases.

I remember years ago, it ended up in my husbands name and we didn't know it and I ended up paying for everything I thought was covered and he ended up with a lot of free beer.  :classic_dry:  Lol.

I  couldn't remember how it works.  Thanks everyone!