Getting from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Jersey City with luggage.

ciabelle

Looking at a couple different options for getting to our AirBnB right off the HBLR in Greenville from the pier after we disembark reasonably comfortably and inexpensively. 

Option One: Taxi/TNC from the pier to the 33rd St PATH Station and transferring to the HBLR in Newport. Fairly straightforward, and will be disembarking on Saturday, so we won't be getting on the train with our bags during rush hour, but may take a bit longer than...

Option Two: Get from pier to 39th St terminal take the ferry to the HBLR at Port Imperial. We could walk, but looks to be the better part of a mile, so would prefer not to do that with luggage. Worried that a cab/TNC driver will be annoyed to be summoned for such a short trip. The NY Waterways Ferry operates a free shuttle bus which goes near the pier, but their website doesn't make it very clear where the closest bus stop is. It looks like there's an MTA bus stop at 12th and 49th, but will the ferry shuttle stop there? We could probably just take the MTA, but then the question is, is there a machine to buy 7-day MetroCards in or very close to the pier?

Open to any other suggestions locals and/or frequent cruisers might have.

I would just Uber or Lyft-- we used it last time we arrived in Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Public transportation with bags is going to be tough because you are going to have to take a taxi/uber anyway to get to it. 

Benefit of Uber/Lyft is that you wont have to wait in the taxi line that forms and can be quite long. 

4 minutes ago, ciabelle said:

Looking at a couple different options for getting to our AirBnB right off the HBLR in Greenville from the pier after we disembark reasonably comfortably and inexpensively. 

Option One: Taxi/TNC from the pier to the 33rd St PATH Station and transferring to the HBLR in Newport. Fairly straightforward, and will be disembarking on Saturday, so we won't be getting on the train with our bags during rush hour, but may take a bit longer than...

Option Two: Get from pier to 39th St terminal take the ferry to the HBLR at Port Imperial. We could walk, but looks to be the better part of a mile, so would prefer not to do that with luggage. Worried that a cab/TNC driver will be annoyed to be summoned for such a short trip. The NY Waterways Ferry operates a free shuttle bus which goes near the pier, but their website doesn't make it very clear where the closest bus stop is. It looks like there's an MTA bus stop at 12th and 49th, but will the ferry shuttle stop there? We could probably just take the MTA, but then the question is, is there a machine to buy 7-day MetroCards in or very close to the pier?

Open to any other suggestions locals and/or frequent cruisers might have.

I have done this type of trip many times and will do it again in February.  How close to the HBLR is your Airbnb in the Greenville section of Jersey City?  Do you know the exact address or what exact station you are close to?  What time of year are you doing this?  I can’t give you a precise answer without this info.

I recommend a cab from the Manhattan cruise pier to 32nd & 6th.  The cost of a cab or Uber will be competitive with the $18 ferry cost for 2 people. The elevator entrance to PATH is on the west side of 6th Ave just north of 32nd St.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_d5JvrqQIGg

Further suggestions will depend on you providing more details about your exact destination.  Transferring at Newport is not suggested because it’s about 2-3 blocks between the stations.

My grandparents, and mother (plus tons of family members) lived in Jersey City, multiple generations. Most spent their entire lives there. JC is really getting revitalized, but there are still very sketchy areas. I’d stick to uber or car service.

https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/new-jersey/articles/15-things-to-know-before-visiting-jersey-city-new-jersey/

58 minutes ago, 138east said:

Do you know the exact address or what exact station you are close to?  What time of year are you doing this?  I can’t give you a precise answer without this info.

Yes, our AirBnB is 2 blocks from the Danforth Ave Station. And yes, I know an Uber to the PATH station will be about $15-20 plus tip, and the ferry is $18 for two of us, so the cost difference is negligible. It'd probably take close to 25 minutes to get from the pier to midtown, and another hour by train to Greenville, where it will take an hour total using the ferry according to Google if we walked from the pier to W 39th St.  Google recommends taking the ferry to Lincoln Harbor, and it'll take a bit longer if we went to Port Imperial instead, it just looks like the transfer from ferry to train is closer/easier at the latter transfer point. 

Edit, it'll be nearly a year from now..  Debarking at the MCT October 2020.

Edited by ciabelle

2 hours ago, ciabelle said:

Yes, our AirBnB is 2 blocks from the Danforth Ave Station. And yes, I know an Uber to the PATH station will be about $15-20 plus tip, and the ferry is $18 for two of us, so the cost difference is negligible. It'd probably take close to 25 minutes to get from the pier to midtown, and another hour by train to Greenville, where it will take an hour total using the ferry according to Google if we walked from the pier to W 39th St.  Google recommends taking the ferry to Lincoln Harbor, and it'll take a bit longer if we went to Port Imperial instead, it just looks like the transfer from ferry to train is closer/easier at the latter transfer point. 

Edit, it'll be nearly a year from now..  Debarking at the MCT October 2020.

Taking the ferry to Lincoln Harbor is fine.  I was thinking Port Imperial. At one point you’re going to have to transfer from the West Side train to the 8th Ave Bayonne train and that can be done at any station from Newport to Liberty State Park.  It looks like there’s a 15 minute wait.  I would consider doing that at Exchange Place, which is a nicer intersection.  Outbound trains should be uncrowded on a Sat morning.