CFAR Question-Canceling a portion of a trip?

irishred

We are booked on a NZ/Australia cruise next month. Since we booked last April, our plans of when and how we can meet up with our friends during this trip have changed, and it would be better for us to cancel the cruise but still keep our flights and visit as a land trip. 

I made the initial deposit and bought our airline tickets in April, then purchased our travel insurance with the 75% CFAR option the day I made the final cruise payment in August. 

We are booked on NCL with their 'Free at Sea' offer, so I paid $500-ish in "free at sea" gratuities and $500-ish in port charges, which I assume will be refunded direct from NCL, correct? That leaves around $2000 for the actual cruise fare, if I cancel in the next few days I would get 25% back per NCL cancellation policy, so I presume the insurance would cover 75% of the remaining $1500?

Since we are still taking the flights and will be making it a land trip, would the insurance still cover the rest of the trip? I did pay $600 for it as a comprehensive plan covering $6500 total trip cost, and am only claiming for around $1500, and don't want to have to buy another plan to cover our medical, etc. 

I'll be calling them tomorrow to try and figure it out, but out of dozens of travel policies purchased, this is the first time I have needed to consider a claim, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what I am looking at by canceling only a portion of the trip. 

Edited by irishred
spelling

7 hours ago, irishred said:

We are booked on a NZ/Australia cruise next month. Since we booked last April, our plans of when and how we can meet up with our friends during this trip have changed, and it would be better for us to cancel the cruise but still keep our flights and visit as a land trip. 

I made the initial deposit and bought our airline tickets in April, then purchased our travel insurance with the 75% CFAR option the day I made the final cruise payment in August. 

We are booked on NCL with their 'Free at Sea' offer, so I paid $500-ish in "free at sea" gratuities and $500-ish in port charges, which I assume will be refunded direct from NCL, correct? That leaves around $2000 for the actual cruise fare, if I cancel in the next few days I would get 25% back per NCL cancellation policy, so I presume the insurance would cover 75% of the remaining $1500?

Since we are still taking the flights and will be making it a land trip, would the insurance still cover the rest of the trip? I did pay $600 for it as a comprehensive plan covering $6500 total trip cost, and am only claiming for around $1500, and don't want to have to buy another plan to cover our medical, etc. 

I'll be calling them tomorrow to try and figure it out, but out of dozens of travel policies purchased, this is the first time I have needed to consider a claim, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what I am looking at by canceling only a portion of the trip. 

Read the cancellation conditions in your travel insurance, most policies don't cover you for change of mind.

14 hours ago, irishred said:

I don't know the answer, and it will depend on what policy you bought and your country of residency.  But there is a chance you might not be covered ☹️.  You are not CANCELLING your trip, you are CHANGING it, so they may deny a CFAR claim.  I just saw this link in a current cruise critic forum with Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com.  The circumstances are different, but there are some similarities.  You might want to take a look at these blog posts before calling.  If you purchased through a broker, you may want to get their advice, before calling the insurance company. Let us know what happens and what policy you bought.  Good luck.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/why-karas-claim-wasnt-paid/

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/more-on-why-karas-claim-wasnt-paid/

On 11/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, irishred said:

Hi Irishred,

Which policy did you have?

I doubt they will let you cancel only a portion of the trip and receive a partial refund for that part while at the same time keeping the policy in force to cover you on your trip. That's because in order to have a successful trip cancellation claim you have to cancel all your travel arrangements

If they say "yes", I'm interested in finding out exactly how the company justifies saying "yes".

Steve