deck 7 or 9, Mariner, motion sickness!

newlu

Hi,

We are booked on Deck 7, mid ship, but there's no sofa bed for my son, if we want, we can either get mid ship on the 9th floor balcony with sofabed or JS mid ship, 9th floor. First time cruise, we do have problems with motion sickness, please help, would prefer 9th floor but...

newlu

Can't answer your question but am curious about the answer also. We have always stayed on Deck 3 because there tends to be less motion the lower you are on the ship. This time we are going to be on Deck 7 and I am a little nervous about movement more than on the lower decks. I do take bonine and wear those wrist bracelets and they help me so hopefully they will work as well on deck for me.

I also have those bracelets that I used on a big catamaran, and it work, I will also bring bonine. Hope to get some good answers about deck 7 or 9...

newlu

I have been on many cruises, from Deck 2 all the way up to Deck 10. Most times we're higher up b/c we love the balcony cabins. We never get seasick no matter what deck we're on. But I can tell you we've never felt much motion on Deck 9. Think you would be fine there.

I'm sorry I have no information on Deck 9 but we stayed on Deck 8 of the Mariner midship and had no problems whatsoever. The entire ship was rocky for part of our cruise partially because of all the tropical storm activity in the Caribbean at the time (we cruised in October at the same time Wilma was in Mexico) but it wasn't any worse in our cabin than it was throughout the ship. We felt that it was more of a rocking us to sleep type of motion.

I think that the cabin location is not as much of a factor as it is made out to be when it comes to sea sickness. If th eseas are rocky, the boat moves adn you will feel it everywhere. For most people they gettheir sea legs by day two. The goo dnews is ther are plenty of options with pils and bracelets and other things that one caan ensure a fun time. I also think much of the conquering of any sea sickness is not focusing on it - keep busy doing lots of things while on-board and any motion will seem less pronouced. I found sea sickness more of any issue on the tenders and tour boats.

We've been on Deck 7 a number of times and never felt any motion - I was also on Deck 4 once and felt more noise and motion on that deck. Do you have a bunk for your son? My kids prefer the bunks over the sofa beds (not comfortable).

I don't know how easily you mean with motion sickness, but DH cannot got out fishing in the ocean at all, or on sailboats...he vomits every time. But we've been on 10 cruises and have had cabins from deck 6 to deck 10 and have had no trouble at all with him even getting slightly queezy. So I think deck 9 balcony would be just fine.

have a nice cruise!

Thanks so much for your replies, yes, I do have a pullout bed for my son, that's the reason I wanted to change cabins, to get a sofa bed, my choices are on Deck 9, either balcony with sofabed, or JS with a sofabed. I think I wont be afraid to take deck 9 with all your responses!

newlu

I have a tendency toward seasickness. But is usually bothers me in places like the showroom, not in the cabin.

Bottom line, it makes no difference where you are on the ship. If the sea is rough enough to feel the rocking motion, the whole ship will be moving. I've been as low and middle of the ship as you can get and you will still feel motion there as well.

Take precautions along, use them if necessary and don't worry about it.

I get seasick, I always take Bonine to avoid any possibility of getting sick and it works great. I start taking it the night before I get onboard, I say better safe then sorry.

I've been In Balcony cabins on 6,7 & 8 next time moving up to Deck 9. Don't feel much of a difference--been mid ship, last time was Aft, been Forward, movement seems the same in all locations. the only place I feel a lot of movement is in the Windjammer and sometimes on the Promenande

We were on the Mariner 1/22 - 1/29. The seas were incredibly rough and you felt it on the whole ship, top to bottom, back to front. We had the patches and did fine. Our cabin was 7200 at the very front of the ship. Our friends had a cabin at the very back on deck 8. I felt more movement in the front than in the back, but it was so rocky that if the motion bothers you there was no place to escape. We loved every minute of it though!

I see you stayed in the Mariner recently in room 7200 in the very front of the ship.....we have never sailed RC and there are 5 of us so that is the room we got. Can you tell me how its laid out? There are me and my husband, my 2 girls (12 and 17) and my 27 year old male cousin. I was looking in the brochure to see how we were gonna sleep but the book isnt to clear. Can you help me out here?

Plus--how was your cruise? I know any cruise is better then any day at work, but can you tell me anything that you really liked/disliked.

I am new to RC and the pictures that Ive seen on the Mariner are beautiful. Seems like there is alot to do for the kids too. I am looking forward to the ports. I am not sure whats up with Labadee but I am sure with common sense and peoples tips on here...we will be fine :)

Thanks a bunch!

Stacy

waljs@verizon.net if youd rather email me privately

Archived