Carnival Breeze-Production Shows for Younger Kids?

Gatordad815

Hi all! We will be on Carnival Breeze with our 4 & 6 year olds for Spring Break. Can anyone whose been with kids in that age range comment on whether any of the production shows would be fun for them? 

Our kids have been on several Oasis Class cruises and loved the ice skating, aqua show and headliner (juggling). I realize the Carnival Breeze shows aren’t trying to be the types of shows on Oasis class ships, but I’m just curious if it’s worth trying the shows with them or better to focus on evening activities that will appeal more to their age range? Any input appreciated!

Not a parent, but... 

There are no production shows that are specifically for kids; it's one show each night for all ages.  But if a kid likes upbeat music, shiny stage decorations, and costumed dancers, he'll most likely enjoy those shows.  The new Playlist Productions shows are comparable to Broadway musicals---think "West Side Story", minus the violent scenes.  (The old stage shows, which I think are gone fleetwide, were more like 1920's vaudeville performances.)  Kid age 4 and 6 may enjoy the music and the flashing lights, but they probably won't get the plots being acted out.

One quick caveat: occasionally, there may be romantic acts, like close hugging, and revealing outfits: shirtless for men, bikinis for women.  That's as family-unfriendly as it gets.  The only exception to this is the "Love and Marriage" show; there's sex talk.  Don't take your kids: it's too mature for younger kids, and too awkward to watch with parents for older kids.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

On the Horizon last year and planning for Breeze this spring break with kids.  We just did the Symphony over Thanksgiving (Oasis class), so we are in the same "boat" as you all.... 

My kids LOVE the sail away parties on Carnival.  They are not to be missed.  Last week on Symphony, the sail away had 20 people and it was lame.  We missed the Carnival sailaway.  Lots of line dancing and limbo for the kids.  They still talk about it. 

I also remember a Dr. Seuss parade and singalong on day 1-2 that my kids loved.  They hold signs and parade through the lounge and end in the theatre with a read-along.  The kids go on stage for the story.  It was really fun. 

Also, the Hasbro family game show was a big hit.  Definitely go to that one. 

My kids enjoyed the musical and broadway theatre productions on Carnival, although, they are not quite at the same level as Royal - still really good and engaged my children.  

Final note - we missed the poolside movies on this last cruise.  Carnival does a MUCH BETTER job at the dive-in movies.  All the kids with us commented that they really missed the movies by the pool every night.  So, we will be doing quite a few of those 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, Gatordad815 said:

Hi all! We will be on Carnival Breeze with our 4 & 6 year olds for Spring Break. Can anyone whose been with kids in that age range comment on whether any of the production shows would be fun for them? 

Our kids have been on several Oasis Class cruises and loved the ice skating, aqua show and headliner (juggling). I realize the Carnival Breeze shows aren’t trying to be the types of shows on Oasis class ships, but I’m just curious if it’s worth trying the shows with them or better to focus on evening activities that will appeal more to their age range? Any input appreciated!

Sorry but the Playlist Production shows will not appeal to kids that young.... and the music is very very loud.  I don't think young kids should be in the theatre for those shows.  The kids clubs have activities during show times so parents can attend shows.

Our experience - One cruise during spring break a few years ago, some parents insisted on taking small kids 2-10yrs old and those kids crawled all over the seats, including the ones we were trying to sit on, under our feet, play with toys they brought, hit me twice with a stuffed toy, etc. all while the shows were going.  It was impossible for us to enjoy the shows.  It happened twice, different night and different families, same issues.  Kids were bored, I get it, but parents should have not gone if they knew their kids wouldn't enjoy the shows.  That was on the parents.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 1:09 PM, ABQrobin said:

Sorry but the Playlist Production shows will not appeal to kids that young.... and the music is very very loud.  I don't think young kids should be in the theatre for those shows.

Interesting observation, but quite contrary to my experience. My kids (now 7 and 10 but who started cruising at 13 and 15 months old respectively) are the reason why we even attend the shows. They always beg to go, and we have to arrive early because they want to sit as close to the stage as possible. 😂 They love all the dancing, music, and stage changes. 

It doesn’t matter what cruise line we sail on (they’ve been on Carnival, Royal, MSC, Holland America and Disney), they want to go to ALL the shows, and they don’t care about the quality, professionalism, or if there’s a plot, etc. They just enjoy them. 

To the OP, absolutely take your kids to the shows. It’s not guaranteed that they’ll like them since all kids are different, but you’ll only know if you try it. Have a wonderful cruise! 

Edited by Tapi

On 12/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Tapi said:

Interesting observation, but quite contrary to my experience. My kids (now 7 and 10 but who started cruising at 13 and 15 months old respectively) are the reason why we even attend the shows. They always beg to go, and we have to arrive early because they want to sit as close to the stage as possible. 😂 They love all the dancing, music, and stage changes. 

I fully agree.  Carnival's shows aren't high-brow works of art.  As good as they are, they're meant to dazzle, not illuminate.  Think flashing lights, cheerful music, and energetic dancers, rather than deep plot lines and dramatic dialogue.  There's nothing inappropriate, either: just occasional actors in swimsuits or an slightly off-color joke.  I'd have enjoyed it as a kid too.

The only caveat is for kids with autism or sensory issues.  They might be overwhelmed by the shows.  But that's about it.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1