Haines road trip

Luv2cruz1000

We have rented a car in Skagway and drove back into Canada. I wondered if it is a worthwhile experience to rent a car and drive North to Haines Junction. I do know of the Eagle Preserve, is there any where else we should plan on stopping? We have a 8am-11pm stop so I think we have lots of time even to look around Haines for a bit before leaving. Would love feedback on what we should do with our time and car!

I was hoping someone else would answer this.  There is a well known guide, photographer and historian in the Yukon territory.  His name is Murray Lundberg.  He has a blog online called ExploreNorth.com and he has mapped the Haines Highway by milepost.  He is better known for what people call “Murray’s Guide” to the South Klondike Highway Skagway to Whitehorse.  

We were in Haines last year and rented a car at the last minute.  Had we planned ahead I would have printed out Murray’s Haines map so that we would have been more aware of stops along the way and the significance of the scenery.  We did not go all the way to Haines Junction but it sounds like you will have more time for your drive.  The drive is beautiful.  Google Murray Lundberg Haines map and/or explorenorth.com

Edited by oaktreerb

you might get more responses if you post on the Alaska forum of tripadvisor.  Perhaps one of the local residents can offer some information. 

There aren't a lot of suggested stopping points listed in the Bells Alaska or The Milepost guides,  however the drive itself is labelled as "National Scenic Byway " , so maybe the entire drive is one big stopping point !

https://www.themilepost.com/highways/haines-highway/

https://www.bellsalaska.com/road logs/Haines-highway-log.pdf