Cabin selection for 7 Day Mediterranean Solo

katmu

I've been home from a fabulous week on the Sky Princess for all of 2 days and I'm already wanting to book my next Princess cruise.  I did book a future cruise deposit while on-board. I'm trying to decide between either the 7 day Civitavecchia to Athens on 4/24/2021 or the 7 day from Athens to Barcelona on 5/1/2021, both on the Enchanted Princess.  I will most likely be taking my first solo cruise and doing a few days pre and post cruise.  My friend and I had a mini-suite on the Sky, and I absolutely loved it, but obviously the weather won't be as warm in Europe at that time of year and I will be paying the entire cost this time.  The 4/24 sailing has 1 sea day and the 5/1 sailing has 2 sea days.  Can any experienced cruisers who have done similar itineraries give me advice on whether or not a balcony is worth it, or if I should consider an interior since I'm solo?  Thank you.

I think your budget and your preferences are what should prevail!

You will revive the whole balcony debate.  There are those on both sides.  Have to have an outside, or, it is a selfish waste of money.   

What matters is YOU!

Here is my take....

I am really big on having some natural light and fresh air.  So, for me, I would never want to have to travel in an Inside.

But, for you, I can see how budget, only one passenger, and nobody to have to share space, a port intensive itinerary, etc.. might make an inside the way to go for you this time.

There are usually some kind of places to go outside, or window seats in a venue that isn't being used, etc..  

If you can't decide, then maybe flip a coin, or play Eeeny, Meeeny, Money, Moe!

Edited by Wishing on a star

I was thinking some of the ports like Istanbul, Naples (even if the city itself is not) and Mykonos on the one out of Civitavecchia might be pretty scenic but I wasn't sure about some of the other ports. On the other itinerary, I think Barcelona, Kotor, Santorini, and Naples for sure it might be nice to have a balcony.  I don't know much about Messina.  

I'm thinking about since it is out a bit yet, I may go ahead and do a less expensive balcony since I have time to save up the difference.

We became used to full ship charter theme cruises, which are much more expensive than the same cruise without a charter.  Having done that, balconies seem much less by comparison!

I have usually booked balconies, but my last two cruises were booked rather last minute so they involved ocean views.  I am starting to notice how I could spend many more days at sea if I booked OV instead of balcony, so I am reconsidering.  However, the balcony is really nice for scenic cruising such as Norwegian Fjords and for Alaska.  Kotor also.

I often book solo as my DH is not such an enthusiastic traveler as I am.

I believe that there are obstructed balcony cabins, mid-ship, that do not really have obstruction.

They can be a bit cheaper than a regular balcony.  I think maybe I saw E333 still available on one sailing.

I have been in a similar cabin.  You do get the lights from the promenade below, and from above.  And, that lower deck is not high and dry.  But, just something to consider.  

Seems cheaper than a mid-ship balcony.  And a little cheaper than a forward balcony.  with maybe more walking and more motion.

Does anyone have experience with the Deluxe Balcony Obstructed with the metal railings like E109/E108 for example?  I don't think I would mind the metal railing.  It would just be nice to have a place to site outside, get some fresh air, and have a private place to view as the ship is arriving in the different ports.

45 minutes ago, katmu said:

Does anyone have experience with the Deluxe Balcony Obstructed with the metal railings like E109/E108 for example?  I don't think I would mind the metal railing.  It would just be nice to have a place to site outside, get some fresh air, and have a private place to view as the ship is arriving in the different ports.

Yes. You just have to stand up to see out.