Passport Collection from Non-EU Passengers

logan25

My non-EU passport was collected upon boarding a Costa Transatlantic cruise.  While I have had my passport collected and retained on various itineraries by other cruise lines, this is my first experience (that I can recall) when the ship retained possession of my passport for the entire length of the cruise.  The itinerary began in Italy and terminated in the Caribbean. 

Is this a common practice for all Costa cruises or was it specific to this particular itinerary?  I have sailed transatlantic itineraries on two other cruise lines and neither held my passport for the entire length of the cruise.

It is the same on South America regardless East or West bound, as we boarded they collected all passports and returned a day before we disembarked.  Be sure and check for the stamp on your passport, once Chilean missed to stamp mine and they nearly did not let me leave their country.