Any Israel itineraries in the summer months?

buffy9678

Hi, I am looking for family friendly cruise lines that have port stops in Israel during the months of June , July, or early August. I'm having a hard time finding anything in these months. As my kids are in school we can't go in the spring or fall which is when I'm seeing these cruises. Does anyone know if any major cruiseline stops in Israel in the summer? Winter break (Christmastime) would work too. Thanks.

There are some, but comparatively few, cruises that visit Israel during these months.

The two main cruise ports are Haifa and Ashdod.

Here's the port website for Haifa

https://www.haifaport.co.il/en/cruise-schedule/

Couldn't find cruise information on the Ashdod port website, but there are plenty of independent websites by googling something like "Ashdod cruise port" 

Here's one

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-ashdod-israel.html

You can then work backwards using the ship's name.

But a couple of words of warning

- websites aren't always up-to-date, and some are simply inaccurate. So check several of those websites.

- because of the political situation, Israeli ports - most especially Ashdod - are more frequently cancelled at very short notice than ports elsewhere in the world. For years we put off cruising to Israel, waiting for a period of political calm, then realised that if we did that we'd never go. So we took the plunge - a cruise which included a day in Haifa and two days in Ashdod. All worked out well, thoroughly enjoyable. We returned last month, the itinerary included two days in Ashdod, but when we joined the cruise it was announced that instead of Ashdod we'd be porting in Haifa, which threw our land arrangements into chaos. The switch was due to unrest in Gaza, close to Ashdod.  In the north of the country, the Israelis and Palestinians live in relative harmony.

If the whole purpose of your proposed cruise is to visit Israel you should consider a land-based vacation instead of a cruise.

JB :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

It's actually  Africa and Middle East....first listing on PORTS OF call

I considered posting there,  however cruises that sail to Haifa and Ashdod are on Mediterranean itineraries, which is why I decided to post here. The itineraries I am looking at originate from Civitavecchia. 

Edited by buffy9678

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

There are some, but comparatively few, cruises that visit Israel during these months.

The two main cruise ports are Haifa and Ashdod.

Here's the port website for Haifa

https://www.haifaport.co.il/en/cruise-schedule/

Couldn't find cruise information on the Ashdod port website, but there are plenty of independent websites by googling something like "Ashdod cruise port" 

Here's one

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-ashdod-israel.html

You can then work backwards using the ship's name.

But a couple of words of warning

- websites aren't always up-to-date, and some are simply inaccurate. So check several of those websites.

- because of the political situation, Israeli ports - most especially Ashdod - are more frequently cancelled at very short notice than ports elsewhere in the world. For years we put off cruising to Israel, waiting for a period of political calm, then realised that if we did that we'd never go. So we took the plunge - a cruise which included a day in Haifa and two days in Ashdod. All worked out well, thoroughly enjoyable. We returned last month, the itinerary included two days in Ashdod, but when we joined the cruise it was announced that instead of Ashdod we'd be porting in Haifa, which threw our land arrangements into chaos. The switch was due to unrest in Gaza, close to Ashdod.  In the north of the country, the Israelis and Palestinians live in relative harmony.

If the whole purpose of your proposed cruise is to visit Israel you should consider a land-based vacation instead of a cruise.

JB :classic_smile:

Thank you for the information,  it is much appreciated and I will look into it further. I'm considering just a land tour, but since my son is interested in both Iarael and Greece I thought a cruise might be a good option. I'd like to plan a trip to celebrate my son's bar mitzvah, since he doesn't want a party but a trip instead (and we like cruising). 

Israel (along with Egypt) are not generally offered on cruise itineraries in the summer due to the extreme heat. I just took a look with a search tool from a major travel agency and there is only one cruise I found during the June-August period calling in to Israel, on Regent Seven Seas Splendor, which is a luxury line and probably not what you have in mind (plus the itinerary only has one call in Greece, to Rhodes).

If you were able to go in December, there is an MSC (Italian line) cruise departing Rome on Dec 16 (or you can also board in Genoa on Dec 17, but Rome would be easier logistically and also -- as it would be roundtrip to/from Rome, you could plan to spend a few days before or after sightseeing in Rome which I'd think your son would also like.)

The ship has a good itinerary:  Rome, Genoa, Katakolon (for Olympia), Athens, Rhodes, an overnight in Haifa, Crete (Heraklion) and then return to Rome. 11 nights in all; ship is MSC Magnifica.

That's the only good option I can find based on your criteria. This will only give you the smallest taste of Israel though, and as JB points out ports in Israel are often cancelled and replaced with other ports (or not replaced at all) if there is any significant event there that could lead to unrest.

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Israel (along with Egypt) are not generally offered on cruise itineraries in the summer due to the extreme heat. I just took a look with a search tool from a major travel agency and there is only one cruise I found during the June-August period calling in to Israel, on Regent Seven Seas Splendor, which is a luxury line and probably not what you have in mind (plus the itinerary only has one call in Greece, to Rhodes).

If you were able to go in December, there is an MSC (Italian line) cruise departing Rome on Dec 16 (or you can also board in Genoa on Dec 17, but Rome would be easier logistically and also -- as it would be roundtrip to/from Rome, you could plan to spend a few days before or after sightseeing in Rome which I'd think your son would also like.)

The ship has a good itinerary:  Rome, Genoa, Katakolon (for Olympia), Athens, Rhodes, an overnight in Haifa, Crete (Heraklion) and then return to Rome. 11 nights in all; ship is MSC Magnifica.

That's the only good option I can find based on your criteria. This will only give you the smallest taste of Israel though, and as JB points out ports in Israel are often cancelled and replaced with other ports (or not replaced at all) if there is any significant event there that could lead to unrest.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I didn't know that Israeli ports are often canceled, that is good to know. We live in the subtropics and are accustomed to heat but I suppose the warm months are not ideal for most. I'll continue to investigate December as an option. We have been to Rome before, but I loved Italy and can always find more to see and do there!

9 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We just returned from an NCL Spirit cruise from RT from Rome to Israel and it contained quite a few other nice ports. They have a cruise from Athens next year in Oct that does many of the same ports but also adds some in Turkey.

Thank you. I'm sure fall is a lovely time to travel there, unfortunately we are bound by the school schedule and are limited to either summer or winter break. 

Cruises simply do not go to Israel in those hot summer months.  There are some decent options in late May such as on Oceania or Regent.  We would not suggest Regent if there are any young family members.  The May 25 Oceania Sirena is a pretty decent itinerary which includes Cyprus and 3 days in Israel.  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Cruises simply do not go to Israel in those hot summer months.  There are some decent options in late May such as on Oceania or Regent.  We would not suggest Regent if there are any young family members.  The May 25 Oceania Sirena is a pretty decent itinerary which includes Cyprus and 3 days in Israel.  

Hank

Thanks. I'm starting to think we'd either have to skip Israel or just do a land tour based on our kids school schedule. Cruises continue in the Caribbean throughout summer, so I guess I just don't see why it's too hot in Israel. I'm in FL and our summer highs appear hotter than the Israel highs. But I get it, I guess it just isn't the desirable time of year to go. Thanks for your input. 

On 12/31/2019 at 6:34 PM, buffy9678 said:

Thanks. I'm starting to think we'd either have to skip Israel or just do a land tour based on our kids school schedule. Cruises continue in the Caribbean throughout summer, so I guess I just don't see why it's too hot in Israel. I'm in FL and our summer highs appear hotter than the Israel highs. But I get it, I guess it just isn't the desirable time of year to go. Thanks for your input. 

I think a land your sounds great. We used Guided Tours Israel and were very pleased. Leo from GTI could offer you his standard tours or customize your experience.