Celebrity Reservations Misrepresentation

sail2day

I was originally booked on a Hawaii 10 night cruise on April 10, 2020 on the Eclipse. This booking was made while on the Infinity in 2019. Due to a dry dock issue Celebrity Cruises shortened the cruise to 9 nights. We were notified of this change right before Christmas. we were given the option of taking the shortened cruise with a pro-rata discount for the lost day or cancelling. As a result, I decided to cancel the cruise and transfer the on-board credit and deposit to another cruise. The cruise that I was transferring it to was a 4 night Infinity cruise in March of this year. Celebrity tonight quoted me a fare for the same Verandah category that was $1,000 more than the rate that I was able to secure on the Celebrity website. I pointed this out to the supervisor and she said that since my original fare was $5,000 for the Hawaii cruise she thought that I wanted to spend a similar amount for a 4 night cruise.

I was dumbfounded by the response. I would have thought that Celebrity would work with me to give me a cabin upgrade or some value for my inconvenience. I was sadly mistaken.

I told the agent that I would just cancel the reservation and transfer the deposit and shipboard credit to a new booking. 

First of all, this cruise was shortened by two nights, not one. Second, Celebrity sent out notifications in early December, not "right before Christmas". I received my copy via my TA on December 5. Third, there were multiple options provided to passengers, not just the two you mention, including:

If you are interested in similar itineraries, you can also be rebooked on the below sailings in like accommodations at the protected/lowest available rate.

These similar itineraries include:

Celebrity Eclipse

o    13-Night Hawaii and West Coast Cruise departing April 20, 2020

Celebrity Solstice

o    10-Night Hawaii Cruise departing May 11, 2020
o    10-Night Hawaii Cruise departing September 18, 2020
o    11-Night Hawaii Cruise departing May 3, 2021

You can also rebook on any Celebrity vacation you choose, and you will receive an onboard credit of $200 per standard stateroom, or $400 per suite.

UNQOTE

Those deciding to stay with the cruise were reimbursed for the two cut nights, given OBC and reimbursed for changes made to flights.

As the information that you present in your post is so inaccurate, I can only conclude that you were either dealing with a travel agent who failed to communicate Celebrity's change to the cruise and resulting offers in an accurate and timely manner, or that you personally failed to understand the situation and your options. I wonder if your consternation tonight in dealing with Celebrity is also due to a similar failure to understand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Your probably both “right” depending on who you get thru to.  We have had a terrible time with the Hawaii cruise change. Misinformation would be the kind way to put it. The original change we saw here on CC but Celebrity didn’t contact us at all we had to reach out to them. They said “2 nights refund and credit.”  Next day story changed. Asked specifically about moving to another cruise and was denied.  They also went back on their offer. We have 2 cabins booked and the inside only reduced by $166 total.  They also now say no airfare change help as this is a new cruise not a changed itinerary. They say they can’t/won’t  do or know anything and it’s a different story each time one calls. If we had not booked air and after cruise arrangements we would cancel.  I know things happen but they are treating their change like it’s our problem. We’re easy to plead but the frustration you read by many is understandable given the lack of good business practices. I’m glad others were able to make the changes seamlessly!

Edited by brellis

10 hours ago, brellis said:

Your probably both “right” depending on who you get thru to.

We simply dealt with our TA for the rebooking. One phone call and it was taken care of. On other issues, such as rebooking cancelled shore excursions, we dealt with the Redeployment Team at 1-888-281-9343. I submitted receipts for changes to our flight to Vancouver on December 11 and the full amount was deposited to my bank account on December 24, less than two week later.

On the Roll Call, you indicated in an earlier post that you were dealing with your TA, but he or she had as yet been unable to get the rebooking details from Celebrity.  But this was on the same day that my TA had already completed my rebooking, so Celebrity clearly had all of the requisite information, in spite of what you were told by your TA. Given all of the apparent misinformation and confusion that you have subsequently had to endure, I wonder if the problem lies with your TA and not Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

For us our SV thru TA was indeed communicated and price reduced fairly simply thru the TA early in the process.  The other cabin for relatives is where we can't seem to get help.  Thru Celebrity and different answer and directions every time.  They won't honor the initial offer because they say its a new cruise, even though they acknowledge the other cabin was clearly reduced.  Said they don't know anything about it airfare or excursions.  I have caught them several times in the same conversation contradicting themselves and its just become pathetic and were done worrying about it and will just enjoy the trip!  The updated invoices still have the 4 perks so hoping that is not an issue on board but zero faith in their business practices at this point.  

All that to say it's great you had a smooth transition but I can certainly believe many did not and forums tend to give one an outlet to vent and possibly get assistance.  Hope others can benefit by the phone number and success you had but we certainly have not!  Hey its still a vacation so well relax and enjoy!