Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

We're back. Yes I took beach shots, and shots of the grounds. I'll get them posted soon. It's a great little beach, you can see it in the shots posted on the other "Explanations ... " thread, and you can walk along the coast, nice sand for quite a ways. I'm surprised someone hasn't cut a better hole in the fence, the wire is rusty and rather heavy, you have to be careful going through. The path past the gate has some old equipment along it, and more where it turns right, but not terribly junky, just some old stuff.

-Bob

Yeah Wendy didn't come with me, she said she should stay and shop so there was someone to tell the rest at home what happene to me if I never returned :-)) She didn't mention rescuing me either. But there were lots of other people on the path, everyone said hi to each other. I should have time tomorrow night to post a shot or 2.

Gringo Bob,

Glad to hear you made it back. I imagine the vacation went well, especially since you didn't have to spend any of it in a Mexican jail. I leave for Tampa Friday. It's my turn to spend some time in the sun...Paul:)

My friends are going to think I am nuts when I take them through a whole in the fence. This should be interesting.

Can't wait to see the pictures!! :D

Zydeco and Surfcop, I've got some Chac-Chi shots on my hard drive ready to put in a post, do I do that with the "manage attachments" button? Yours are fairly large, is there a size limit? Surfcop the shots you posted were quite accurate, the one with chairs is the cafe and the one with fruit on the counter is the beach bar. Strange they wouldn't show a shot of their nice beach, it's cleaner than the one at Majahual.

-Bob

If hosted somewhere else (I keep mine on AoHell), there is no size limit. Then I insert them in a post. Ok, usually I am lazy and just drag and drop them, but that doesn't work with all editors and all browsers. If the pics are local on your PC, you will be stuck with having to edit them down to a size that CC will allow you to upload.

When you reply to a message there is a button in one of the tool bars on top that looks like this: insertimage.gif

And is used to insert images. You need the URL to where the pictures are...

e.g.

http://www.xcalak.info/rentals/temp/abddd218d7b0b9fc5e0dea60cde9a641.jpg

http://www.xcalak.info/rentals/temp/ce4b258b120913403a97675bacbfa98d.jpg

You could view the pics via the above URLs or insert them into the post

abddd218d7b0b9fc5e0dea60cde9a641.jpg

ce4b258b120913403a97675bacbfa98d.jpg

There are other ways, also.

Somewhere: Here's the link to a shot of Chac-Chi from the pier, showing the beach and cafe under the big thatched roof, loungers on the beach.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bob42ca/Costa%20Maya/ChacChiFromPierCloseup.jpg

I'll also get the closeup shots of the beach up later. This beach is a lot cleaner than the one in town, the sand in town was ok but there was seaweed along the shore and in the water, but none at Chac-Chi.

Zydeco, I tried to insert this pic into this post but C.C. said it's too big, 135 K and 640x480. It's bigger than yours in the above post, perhaps twice as big, and it would lose detail if I shrunk it with an editor. But I've seen other large pics, how do they do it?

-Bob

Now that someone from Cruise Critic has been to this resort is great. Am sure lots of others will be going there as well. I would agree that going through a fence that says private property, etc., isn't a good thing but if the resort representative said to...I guess go for it. Makes me feel better that others were doing it too and seemed friendly, etc. Was there shade at the beach? Tiki huts, etc.,

Also, does it cost to rent the tiki huts at the pier? Assume that is first come, first served?

Like this?

Yes! I think I should be just pasting the IMG for the pic, not trying to use C.C. Manage button with the link. In the Test Forum I did a test post using IMG and it worked, I'll try putting the other shots up that way too, hang on Sawyer and Somewhere .. GTR soon tonight, tomorrow for sure.

Zyde do you have to be an AOL member to use their photo storage? I've been using Webshots but they only show your stats for your first 3 albums if you don't pay. And lately I've been using Photobucket but there is a max size per week or something, and a max size per pic.

-Bob

Yep, need to be an AOL member, but they have different memberships available. No stats (or maybe I just never looked), but also it seems to be no limit to size or number of pics.

A lot of people have trouble linking to Webshots.

Yahoo also has free pictures I think.

Bob7, We've decided that unless there are armed guards (and they don't take a lunch break) we will be going through the hole in the fence. We're really looking forward to it and we are looking forward to your pix as well.

Only a couple of weeks to go!

Liberty 4/9/06

I imagine a pair of these might help the cause...QUOTE]

It sure would. I thought it strange that the people using the "hole in the gate" didn't make it bigger, so many ppl going back and forth.

Surf, good man, go for it!

Sawyer, no charge for the huts or loungers.

Ok I'll try and load the other photos:

The photos of the bar and café that Zydeco posted above are quite accurate, that’s what they looked like. The café is the one with the white chairs.

The first shot below shows the resort as you walk along the pier. At the left you can see the cement wall with the DON’T signs which was put up by the cruise lines to try and keep cruisers in the cruise area to the left where their stores and bars are ($9 drinks). And you can see the Chac-Chi billboard above the cement wall which welcomes cruisers and says their entrance is off the highway ($3 cab p.p.)

ChacChiFromPier2-20Size.jpg

But there is a shortcut that the locals and the land resort/hotel people use. You walk out of the shopping area at the pier (exit to the right), into the bus/taxi area, walk around the roundabout with the yellow concrete walls, and down the road (right-hand sidewalk) to the first intersection. Roundabout to intersection took 3-4 minutes. Then you turn right at the intersection and go down the street past the white Comisarito building (local shopping) to the wire gate at the end. The shot below shows that, and some people walking the route.

ComisariatoHalfsize.jpg

Hold up the right side of the wire gate and go through, and straight ahead to the trees where you turn right and take the 2 lane path into the resort. It’s a nice level easy walk that anyone could do, intersection to resort took 5 minutes, total of 8 minutes from the roundabout. Everyone on the path says hi, fellow adventurers? … or partners in crime?

This shot shows the beach, people were snorkelling the rocks on the left, and the beach extends way down the coast, nice for a walk:

ChacChiBeachAndShip75Size.jpg

And this shot shows the café and the loungers (free) on the beach, lots of shade under the palm trees:

ChacChiBeachAndBar75Size.jpg

Cheap drinks, cheap food, cool music, no pool, better beach than in town (cleaner), long beach down the coast to take a stroll, no cab fares.

Adios!

-Bob

Bob7,

Thanks for all of your work on this thread. I am very appreciative of your posts, because when I get to Costa Maya (May), I'll be crawling through that hole in the fence too! :D I've just written all of your very good instructions down, and I'll bring them along with me.

Great photos too....the photos help put it all in perspective.

Zydecocruiser,

That was hilarious when you posted a photo of that tool (Pliers/wrench):confused: .....sorry, I'm not good at identifying some tools. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to cruise!

Tootsie

Now you all are making me want to go again...I looked with envy at the white beach of Cha-chi's (it was very deserted when we were there a year ago) and headed down to Mahujual. I'm so glad that Cha'chi's owners have hung in there and are providing an alternative. A nice white sand beach with a few palm trees in the warm ocean breeze does sound very inviting.

Su

Thanks Bob7,

I will be leaving in 6 days, Costa Maya is the first stop. I can't wait until we climb through the fence. The pixs also helped me get a better idea of the route to the fence. I will make a toast to you when we get on the beach.

Will the Comisariato building be on the left as you are going to Chac-Chi?

Yes, the shot above is on the way to the resort. When you get to the intersection and look to the right you'll see an edge of the Comisarito building past the trees. You walk where the 2 ppl beside the cars are walking. You can barely see some people at the end of the road going through the gate. It's rather heavy wire, you should take turns holding it for your ladies. I'm curious who owns the gate, the Comisarito, Chac-Chi, the cruise lines, of whoever owns the lot you walk through. The sign on the gate has been broken up, can't tell what it says any longer.

Ladies, thx for the feedback! What impressed me was the ChacChi beach was cleaner than in town, which had seaweed along the waters edge and in the water. SportsGal and Tootsie, we have a job for ya when yer there. I never priced the drinks and food there, one of the girls in the shops told us it was way cheaper, and I just looked around for a bit and went back to do some stuff with Wendy (like give her more money). So when you get back let us know what the prices were like, and the next time yer there I'll buy y'all a beer!

Hasta la Vista!

-Bob

Bob7,

Thanks for all of your work on this thread. I am very appreciative of your posts, because when I get to Costa Maya (May), I'll be crawling through that hole in the fence too! :D I've just written all of your very good instructions down, and I'll bring them along with me.

Great photos too....the photos help put it all in perspective.

Zydecocruiser,

That was hilarious when you posted a photo of that tool (Pliers/wrench):confused: .....sorry, I'm not good at identifying some tools. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to cruise!

Tootsie

The desciption says wire cutters, but they look similar to bolt cutters to me.

Hell Zy, with a pair of those you could cut a hole in the big fence beside the concrete wall and make a NEW route. We'll call it ZY Ave.

Somewhere: Chac Chi by cab is about the same distance from the dock as Majahual. It's $3 p.p. to Majahual, $2 back. I'm guessing they'd take you from town to ChacChi for about $5 p.p. one way. Then it's easy to walk back on the shortcut.

Archived