Missed ports

Tansy Mews

2 hours ago, noosa_blue150 said:

Update - pulled out the paperwork and read up on criteria behind missed port (disembarkation)

I now think it won’t cover missed ports due to bad weather , but would,cover if we get back to Sydney for example late and miss ongoing transport home if delay significant and you did allow ample time with initial,booking. The cabin confinement still handy clause as well tho in a travel insurance  for cruising. My apologies if I’ve misled anyone - one should always check fine print closely 

01131F6E-6953-47AF-8A31-90858621BA80.jpeg

I looked at our last Insure and Go policy and PDS and for missed ports you can claim if a port is missed and isn't replaced - 'We will pay up to the amount shown in the Table of benefits for each scheduled port your cruise never docks at during a trip, which is due to adverse weather restrictions or mechanical breakdown. Please refer to the PDS for the applicable sublimit per port.' 

This is from the PDF - SECTION D3 - MISSED PORT What you are covered for We will pay you an amount for each scheduled port your cruise never docks at during a trip where an alternative port is not provided. The total amount for missing multiple ports is specified in the Table of Benefits. (On the top cover - it is $100 per port up to $1000 in total.)

Leigh

10 hours ago, Tansy Mews said:

All of my private excursions on this 14 day trip were refundable if the ship didn’t make it. One I wasn’t sure about so emailed a query and yes, I am covered if the ship doesn’t take me there!

i haven’t found that to be the case everywhere but it has been in Australia and New Zealand. 

we missed Eden. We had a photography “course” tour with Phill Small. We were sorry to miss it. He specializes in beach and coastal photography.  
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Phill-Small-Photography-Eden/264250610300204

Frances

I had been looking at that tour with Phill Small, but never booked it.  Sorry to hear Eden was (apparently) not recovered enough to be able to greet cruisers. 

As for travel insurance, my (limited) experience is that missing a port usually doesn't qualify for a refund if you can't get a refund for an excursion.  But I suppose there may be policies that cover this situation.  If a port is missed, keeping any documentation you receive (for example, a letter delivered to your cabin) is probably essential.

Edited by roothy123

On 1/29/2020 at 5:29 PM, the_travel_locks said:

Hi Jazzbeau,

our Le Laperouse cruise last week was to visit Gisborne instead of White Island, but due to remnants of Cyclone Tino and heavy seas, the Gisborne stop was also cancelled last minute.

However, if had we gone to Gisborne,  Ponant had advised that  the stop would include (at no cost) a scenic journey around Gisborne's bay to Muriwai on a vintage steam train.  So perhaps that is what they will do with your cruise as well ?  They just asked people to register their interest in advance.  So might be worth checking if that interests you, to be sure to get a spot, if they are offering that again.

With our White Island and Gisborne stops both not happening, the Captain did a great job sailing us around the area safely and timed things such that we were able to view White Island early evening. He made a fitting tribute to those who had lost their lives in the spirit of adventure there, with one minutes silence on the viewing deck. It was an emotional situation handled very well in a surreal landscape.

The March Ponant sailings have now been updated with Gisborne info.  We will be doing the vintage steam train.  Our call time is listed as "early morning to midday" to not enough time to plan an alternative even if missing the stop wasn't a worry.