A novice with MORE questions about Star.

Tropicalshowers

Hi all!

Another novice cruiser for you! What a great site this is and thanks to all of you who have unknowingly answered so many of my questions to date!

Booked our cruise yesterday (R631) for our family of 4, 2A & 2C,12 &15yrs, & discovered that the boat is nearly fully booked already. I have a few questions, but may need to spread them out over a few threads,for fear of bombarding you all.

Firstly, the Star's laundry (or lack thereof)...I asked our TA to check with P&O yesterday and the response was, that there had been a few 'glitches' on the Star, but that by Sept.(when our cruise depts.) the $25 bags SHOULD be up & running. ('Should' being the operative word here I feel!) I guess I will need to pack thinking we may have to delay washing until we return....how much Febreeze can clothes take?!! As for using an indoor line setup, is there one provided in the bathroom,(for nickers etc) or could one be rigged up using the bunk ladders perhaps?

Secondly,Kids! As there is no kids dinner (my TA refused to believe this...), do kids go to the Formal dinners as well? We don't mind eating with our kids (we consider them to be 'well trained'!), but the thought of possibly 'babysitting' other peoples children, is a little off putting. We are booked into the late sitting as the early one is already booked out. We only hope our youngest can last the distance. When does the lunch buffet finish? Maybe we could do a late lunch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There is a small pull-out washing line in the shower, big enough for your smalls. Your kids are too old for kids dinner anyway, at least definately your 15 year old. Buffet lunch on deck usually finishes at 3 pm. By the way welcome to the boards and isn't the waiting and anticipation half the fun of the trip? Bombard us as much as you like with your questions, we all love showing off and answering them. :)

Hi all!

Another novice cruiser for you! What a great site this is and thanks to all of you who have unknowingly answered so many of my questions to date!

Booked our cruise yesterday (R631) for our family of 4, 2A & 2C,12 &15yrs, & discovered that the boat is nearly fully booked already. I have a few questions, but may need to spread them out over a few threads,for fear of bombarding you all.

Firstly, the Star's laundry (or lack thereof)...I asked our TA to check with P&O yesterday and the response was, that there had been a few 'glitches' on the Star, but that by Sept.(when our cruise depts.) the $25 bags SHOULD be up & running. ('Should' being the operative word here I feel!) I guess I will need to pack thinking we may have to delay washing until we return....how much Febreeze can clothes take?!! As for using an indoor line setup, is there one provided in the bathroom,(for nickers etc) or could one be rigged up using the bunk ladders perhaps?

Secondly,Kids! As there is no kids dinner (my TA refused to believe this...), do kids go to the Formal dinners as well? We don't mind eating with our kids (we consider them to be 'well trained'!), but the thought of possibly 'babysitting' other peoples children, is a little off putting. We are booked into the late sitting as the early one is already booked out. We only hope our youngest can last the distance. When does the lunch buffet finish? Maybe we could do a late lunch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hello nice to meet you.

I have been in the Star and I must say you have made a good choice.

When I was on board we had no childrens meals and I am sure your are well mannered but they get bored the meals stretch about 1 1/2 hours mst night and longer some times and this the main problem kids like to eat and run and this causes them to get restless.They do have thier own menu but looking at the age of your they will enjoy your menu .

Try the steak house wonderful yes it cost 15dollars but worth every penny.

Washing yes you have plenty of room for your knickers on the line in the shower but if your children are like my grandson he showers and does not move my draws boy it took ages to dry Ha Ha.

Well I hope that the laundry is running for you as we are also planing to travel around then too,and in May.

There is a small pull-out washing line in the shower, big enough for your smalls. Your kids are too old for kids dinner anyway, at least definately your 15 year old. Buffet lunch on deck usually finishes at 3 pm. By the way welcome to the boards and isn't the waiting and anticipation half the fun of the trip? Bombard us as much as you like with your questions, we all love showing off and answering them. :)

Thanks for the info! I think our boys would probably prefer to eat at the Grill (without us!) when they get hungry. At least there is an alternative if the late sitting doesn't work out.Does the cruise card operate as a key to the cabin,as well as being a charge account card? Can our kids access our cruise card account without our permission? (We wouldn't want to learn that we owed $100's on New Zealand icecream!). Also, can they access the cabin without us in tow? Nice to know there's a line in the bathroom & yes, it's a LONG way off, but now that we're 'On', I am counting the days!

On the sun, you used to have to put a certain amount of cash on there and use it like a debit card but i think that may have changed now. My kids, 12 and 15 (in sept last year) had their own cards which gave them credit rights as well as access to the room.

I think with all the food on board (there is ice cream for dinner every night) they may not spend too much on ice cream. i would watch spending on internet and games machines. You may just have to set rules etc about spending.

We also hung undies on a wire coathanger and hung up on curtain rod behind the curtain, dried very quickly. No one is going to be seeing your washing!!!

Anyway welcome and as said before dont be afraid to ask any questions.

Hello nice to meet you.

I have been in the Star and I must say you have made a good choice.

When I was on board we had no childrens meals and I am sure your are well mannered but they get bored the meals stretch about 1 1/2 hours mst night and longer some times and this the main problem kids like to eat and run and this causes them to get restless.They do have thier own menu but looking at the age of your they will enjoy your menu .

Try the steak house wonderful yes it cost 15dollars but worth every penny.

Washing yes you have plenty of room for your knickers on the line in the shower but if your children are like my grandson he showers and does not move my draws boy it took ages to dry Ha Ha.

Well I hope that the laundry is running for you as we are also planing to travel around then too,and in May.

Well it's nice to be here! Thanks for your advice. The steak house sounds perfect. By the way,your grandson is not the only one who wouldn't notice washing...all my men will need reminding too!

Welcom Nerissa, our first family cruise in 2002 our kids where the same age (but girls) and the 12 nearly 13 yo on the Sailaway night had to go and have the kids dinner at 5.00. She was mighty PO'd and very upset to say the least as she was the eldest there with all these littlies. We arranged for her to join us at our table. No body minded and they all made room for her. We didn't find they got too bored at all. Once they had eaten what they wanted they were off and we didn't see them until the next morning when we were going to bed. Everyone at the table also enjoyed their company which was lovely to see.

No the card doesn't operate as a key. You will get separate keys each. If I remember rightly the kids couldn't access your card but they can have their own card. We did this and put on $70 each so that they could get what they wanted without us having to go with them everytime. It's a great idea for them to have their own responsibilities. And yes they access the cabin without you as they have their own key.

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask, there's enough of us on here that are only too willing to help you.

Kerri.

It would be great if we are able to put money onto their own cards, that way we have set the limit and they are left to decide how much internet they use, games they play and icecreams they eat! Once it's gone, it's gone!

They are both far more frugal when it comes to 'their' money!

the card is also your id card when you go ashore. You put it though a machine and your photo comes up andchecks you off the ship and then back on again. This wason the SUn , maybe the star has a different arrangment.

we got one card each and that did for everything, key, credit card,id card.

less to lose!!!

the card is also your id card when you go ashore. You put it though a machine and your photo comes up andchecks you off the ship and then back on again. This wason the SUn , maybe the star has a different arrangment.

less to lose!!!

Do you get to keep the card after your cruise?

Trevor

less to lose!!!

Yes the Star is the same your cruise card is your ID card for getting on and off the ship. There is a separate plastic door key card, one for each passenger if you are lucky and they all work, we only had three but survived. I put cash on my card and used it that way but we found out later they had connected it to Chaz's credit card against her instructions so I could have spent up big once I used all my money. Mind you she did get my leftover $1.75 credited to her account at the end of the cruise. So check to make sure kids are not connected to your card even if you arrange it at embarkation as Chaz did when they asked who in cabin was on her credit card she said just her but I think they took pity on her poor mother. Must admit considered the $2500 necklace once I found out I was on her card but thought better off it. (Just joking Chaz) :)

less to lose!!!

Hi,

Yousay that it has your photo on it - does this photo get taken when you get on board at check in - and do the kids have their own photo too.

Hi,

Yousay that it has your photo on it - does this photo get taken when you get on board at check in - and do the kids have their own photo too.

Yes they take everyones photo as you board it is put in computer so everytime you insert your card to leave or return to the ship your photo comes up on the screen and they can check it is really you. :)

Hi,

Just to be clear your photo does not get printed or appear on your card but rather is just on the A-Pass computers as you board. They are the most unattractive photos too.. Usually looking right up your nose!

In relation to Cruise Cards, yes parents please be very specific if you don't want your kids to be able to rack up huge bills. And even if you tell them at embarkation you don't want anyone else on your credit card authorisation check it when things settle down to be sure.

The process on the Star is very different to what we have seen before and I personally believe been implemented to encourage people to spend more money (i.e. you really don't know how much you are spending unless you count every penny or go to the pursor's desk). There is no running total on the printed receipts which was one of our recommendations.

I think a few people would have had some nasty hangovers when they realised how much they spent of a night time as the card does not stop!! I have heard of people on previous cruises who would limit their drinking by limiting the amount of money they put on their card. When the card stopped working they would go to bed. Not sure what would happen however if you didn't have enough on your credit card to cover the balance.

For teens I think a bigger problem would be the internet which you now access by swiping your cruise card and can very quickly eat your money. I was required to check e-mails for work 3 times a day while on board and racked up a total of over $50 for the web. It cost 35 cents per minute or $21 per hour...

Of course like anything this is all a matter of perspective. For some people it would not be a problem and they don't need to think about how much they are spending. But for others on a tight budget they need to be very careful and conscious of what they are doing and spending and may want to check their balance & statement each day.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Just to be clear your photo does not get printed or appear on your card but rather is just on the A-Pass computers as you board. They are the most unattractive photos too.. Usually looking right up your nose!

In relation to Cruise Cards, yes parents please be very specific if you don't want your kids to be able to rack up huge bills. And even if you tell them at embarkation you don't want anyone else on your credit card authorisation check it when things settle down to be sure.

The process on the Star is very different to what we have seen before and I personally believe been implemented to encourage people to spend more money (i.e. you really don't know how much you are spending unless you count every penny or go to the pursor's desk). There is no running total on the printed receipts which was one of our recommendations.

I think a few people would have had some nasty hangovers when they realised how much they spent of a night time as the card does not stop!! I have heard of people on previous cruises who would limit their drinking by limiting the amount of money they put on their card. When the card stopped working they would go to bed. Not sure what would happen however if you didn't have enough on your credit card to cover the balance.

For teens I think a bigger problem would be the internet which you now access by swiping your cruise card and can very quickly eat your money. I was required to check e-mails for work 3 times a day while on board and racked up a total of over $50 for the web. It cost 35 cents per minute or $21 per hour...

Of course like anything this is all a matter of perspective. For some people it would not be a problem and they don't need to think about how much they are spending. But for others on a tight budget they need to be very careful and conscious of what they are doing and spending and may want to check their balance & statement each day.

Cheers,

Thanks to all for the regular info! (I've yet to figure out how to copy the last part of a letter though, for replying..sorry!). One small query re: the card. Is the ID card one & the same as the cruise card? If so, my kids will have to have one none the less, & I'm presuming they could spend to their hearts content, while actually attatched to us (ah gods!!). It would be fine if we still had the control to limit spending, but it sounds like we will have to O.K every move they make. We could ofcourse, verbally indicate a spending limit, but even for an adult this could be hard to keep track of. By the sounds of it, the internet will be a no-no anyway...(I can hear the protests already!).We will be on a budget as we are extending our holiday apon our return to catch up with family & friends...we shall try to cry poor & see what happens!

Also curious to know if kids attend Formal night if they are with us at the 2nd sitting for dinner...I can't see how this would be acceptable, even if they are teenagers.

Cheers!

Thanks to all for the regular info! (I've yet to figure out how to copy the last part of a letter though, for replying..sorry!). One small query re: the card. Is the ID card one & the same as the cruise card? If so, my kids will have to have one none the less, & I'm presuming they could spend to their hearts content, while actually attatched to us (ah gods!!). It would be fine if we still had the control to limit spending, but it sounds like we will have to O.K every move they make. We could ofcourse, verbally indicate a spending limit, but even for an adult this could be hard to keep track of. By the sounds of it, the internet will be a no-no anyway...(I can hear the protests already!).We will be on a budget as we are extending our holiday apon our return to catch up with family & friends...we shall try to cry poor & see what happens!

Also curious to know if kids attend Formal night if they are with us at the 2nd sitting for dinner...I can't see how this would be acceptable, even if they are teenagers.

Cheers!

Hi Nerissa,

Yes the ID cards and cruise cards are the same thing. You can remove the automatic credit card payment from the kids cards and just use cash. The card should stop when it runs out of cash but I know of a few people this didn't happen for but I don't think it was a huge overrun and I am not sure what liability P&O then carry.

Unless it has been changed just recently there was no kids dinner on the Star and all children went to dinner with their parents regardless of the dinner sitting they were at. We were aware of people carrying sleeping children into the late sitting and waking them up to eat, although we believe they were eventually changed to the early sitting. If you are booked into the late sitting your kids will be booked with you. Yes your kids will attend the formal nights including dinner as per every other night.

Cheers,

When you buy something on the Pacific Sun, eg a drink for $5, does the amount of the drink show on the receipt? Only wondered so you could keep track of how much you spend.:confused:

last sept it did plus the amount left in your account. then you had to put credit on it much like a debit card but i think someone said they had changed it now.

last sept it did plus the amount left in your account. then you had to put credit on it much like a debit card but i think someone said they had changed it now.

The system has only changed on Pacific Star. On Star, instead of putting an amount of money on the cruise card at the start (or during) the cruise, and using it like a debit card (the current system on Sky & Sun), everything gets charged to the cruise card and at the end of the cruise the total amount is charged to the nominated credit card, or can be paid in cash at the Pursers desk. You will still have to sign for purchases an d receive a receipt, however the receipt won't have a running balance on it. A statement will be delivered to your cabin on the last day, or you can request one at any time from the Purser's desk.

At least thats how I understand it works, from the information that came with our tickets, and from other cruise critic posters who have already been on Star.

I don't believe that the system on Pacific Sun & Pacific Sky has changed at this stage - however I would say it could change in the future as P&O Australia is further "Carnivalised"

Archived