Amtrak

kcdd

I asked this on another board and someone suggested I post here.  We are taking Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, BC the day before our cruise.

I actually have 2 questions:

1. We are staying in a hotel in Tukwila a few days prior to the Amtrak trip.  The train leaves early in the am, I want to say around 7:30.  Any recommendations regarding transportation to the Amtrak station downtown Seattle?

2. The other question is on the other end.  Once we arrive in Vancouver any recommendations for transportation from train station to hotel downtown Vancouver?

TIA

As of today Jan 24, Uber and Lyft are now operating in the Metro Vancouver area but not all of the cities in the region haven't given them the green light - you will be able to get to the airport etc.

Stiffer licensing requirements are slowing the recruitment of drivers for both companies.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kcdd said:

I asked this on another board and someone suggested I post here.  We are taking Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, BC the day before our cruise.

1. We are staying in a hotel in Tukwila a few days prior to the Amtrak trip.  The train leaves early in the am, I want to say around 7:30.  Any recommendations regarding transportation to the Amtrak station downtown Seattle?

2. The other question is on the other end.  Once we arrive in Vancouver any recommendations for transportation from train station to hotel downtown Vancouver?

TIA

1. Link Light Rail - Tukwila International Boulevard Station to (not far from Seatac), and International District/Chinatown Station is 2 blocks from King St Station

2. Skytrain "Main St" ($3.25/ea) or a Taxi (probably $15)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kcdd said:

TIA

Just a reminder to all CC folks planning to take Amtrak to Vancouver to meet their ship:  Please beware that Amtrak services two different Vancouver cities: Vancouver, BC Canada AND Vancouver, WA (south of Seattle). 

Booking mistakes are made all the time by travelers unfamiliar with the two same named cities 300 miles apart from each other.  Please be careful when you are booking your Amtrak reservation that you are selecting the correct Vancouver.

Vancouver, BC Canada

Vancouver, WA (south of Seattle near Oregon)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

When we took the train from Seattle to Vancouver pre-cruise last May there were a line of taxis at the Vancouver Amtrak station.

We did the same route and had to wait 20 minutes for a taxi.

• Like 1

Yup, there's a pretty small total number of cabs in the Vancouver area (hence the ridiculous delays on 3+ ship days), and only the fleets licensed to pick up inside Vancouver proper can do so at the train station. Likewise Uber & Lyft are both operating in a VERY limited geographic area, due to their lack of drivers primarily (they can only allow folks with taxi licenses to drive for them). If you have the app installed, I'd suggest that if you come out of the station and don't see any cabs there fire up your Uber/Lyft and see how close the nearest driver is.

Unlike the pier, where most fares are to the airport so it's about a 90min turnaround for cabs to get there, pick up someone else, and get back you'll find that at the train station the cabs are dropping at downtown hotels so will be back in 30mins - they'll keep coming until the train pax are gone. So if your nearest rideshare car is within say 15mins, it might be quicker than waiting for a cab - depends how many folks are ahead of you in the queue, but even if you wait it will never even come close to as bad as the pier. I'd be shocked if you ever had to wait more than 20mins, and usually more like just a handful (we live within 2 blocks, I'm very familiar with seeing the cabs working around train schedules).

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

There were several when we first arrived although I think the business class folks were first off and snagged many.

the day we arrived there was no business class car - we had tried to book it even - and we were disappointed.