70s Rock and Romance Cruise - discussion and questions

Honolulu Blue

With restrictions in my state due to be lifted starting July 1, I looked for venues for some "vital" concert training for my experiences.  And I think I found a good one - ZZ Top, John Fogerty, and George Thorogood will be performing next month not too far from home.  It should be a good time as I wait for my other trips.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of minor news items on my musical journey:

• 80s in the Sands is replacing Belinda Carlisle with Loverboy.  While I like Belinda and the chance for a double is now gone (she'll also be on The 80s Cruise), I like Loverboy's music just as much.
  • The 80s Cruise is replacing The Alarm with another band TBD.  Considering The Alarm is one of the few bands on the cruise that I didn't care about at all, almost any replacement would be good, and a few I can think of would be outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Rock and romance just added Al Stewart , so 7 new acts so far . Looking forward to new retreat area for suites, I sure it’s not as nice as Edge , just got off edge did a upsell to a penthouse.

• Thanks 1

I successfully completed phase 2 of my hot vax summer this weekend with my attendance at the ZZ Top/John Fogerty/GTD concert.  Barely a mask was seen and there was very little social distancing.  I expected this.  It was a good time, though all the driving and running around made for a very long day. I'll try to adjust to this for my future experiences.

Looking forward to my next adventures.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A couple of small items:

1. The 80s Cruise has replaced The Alarm with Gene Loves Jezebel and Dramarama.  They're vaguely familiar to me, but neither of them I'm looking forward to seeing.  Oh well, they can't all be winners.  And I will probably need the rest anyway.
  2. Dusty Hill of ZZ Top passed away a couple of days ago.  That means I was at one of his very last concerts.  Sad news, and I expect to hear more of it in the coming months and years.
Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, George C said:

Worried about this cruise if it can sail with 100 percent occupancy, or will it be canceled or postponed again . That goes for all music charters.

I think a lot more about this than I ought to.  One of the music charters I follow has voluntarily reduced capacity to 80% for their sailing in November, but that seems to be the exception to the rule.  The Sixthman cruises for November seem to have availability after at least some of them were sold out earlier this year.  Many of the charters that are scheduled to run in early 2022 are sold out.

I think the CDC will pitch the capacity limits when the CSO is due to expire at the end of October, which would seem to eliminate the issue.  But individuals have to decide whether it's wise to be on cruise ships with lots of interior space with iffy ventilation.  And those decisions are likely to be influenced by the virus spread in the weeks and months to come.  It's worth keeping an eye on.

A couple of things that might happen to these charters is (1) they'll be split into two cruises on similar ships either leaving at the same time or similar times, and/or (2) they'll move them to bigger ships.  Why run a ship at 30% of capacity when there's this charter over here that's sold out and could possibly sell more cabins if they were available?  Anyway, it's something that might happen and is worth keeping an eye on.

This is a very interesting time to be in the music charter businesss.

Posted (edited)

I'm mostly posting this for me, but one of my upcoming adventures is 80s in the Sand, a group that has rented much of an AI in Cancun.  They will have musicians from the era along with some 80s-themed events.  Anyway, they sent me what I think will be their last full newsletter before the event.  Here's what I found most interesting:

• There will be about 1400 people enjoying this event
  • No vaccine requirements for guests.  My opinion is that you'd have to be out of your mind to attend an event like this without being vaccinated, but it's just an opinion that doesn't have any weight with anyone.
  • Hotel employees and performers are required to be vaccinated
  • All guests need a negative test 48 hours before arrival, and they're fairly strict on the 48 hour thing
  • Non-proctored home self test results aren't accepted, but most of the other available testing options are accepted
  • On-site testing is available on arrival for a fee
  • On-site antigen testing is available before leaving for free (PCR tests available for a fee)
  • We lost Howard Jones and Wang Chung due to UK entry and exit requirements.  Wang Chung is all right, but Mr. Jones is a real loss; I was really looking forward to hearing him.
  • Howard Jones and Wang Chung are moving to the 2022 edition, which has suites already being sold (it's in a different hotel but still in Cancun)
  • TPTB are committed to getting replacements.  We'll see what they come up with.

I'm very much looking forward to this - so much so that I booked a faux-charter cruise experience on Princess for next month.  That's a cruise with an 80s theme with some 80s cover bands, 80s trivia, 80s TV shows and movies, and more.  You can read more about it at https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/special-events/  .  My expectations for this are much lower than for the 80s in the Sand and The 80s Cruise, but I paid much less for this than I did for either of those.  Besides, it's a cruise, so how bad could it really be?

Edited by Honolulu Blue