French Polynesia tipping

kelib

What is the general attitude towards tipping in Tahiti and other French Polynesia islands? I know as a citizen of the US I am used to tipping and had to adjust my habits when I went to Europe last summer. I know in some places in the world it is considered almost an insult and want to know before I go. 

13 hours ago, kelib said:

What is the general attitude towards tipping in Tahiti and other French Polynesia islands? I know as a citizen of the US I am used to tipping and had to adjust my habits when I went to Europe last summer. I know in some places in the world it is considered almost an insult and want to know before I go. 

This is a bit tricky  ..... up until 10 years ago you would never tip in FP,  in fact many would consider it rude. However, the younger generation in FP has been 'westernized' and many now expect tips. 

However  ... most nice eateries have included within their pricing a 17% tip. You won't know it but it's there, built-in. The tips are given out at the end of the year to all employees. 

When your out and about consider who you are interacting with. If the person is over 35 I would suggest not tipping. Under 35 only tip if it's a small excursion operator and you know the tour guide/skipper doesn't own the boat, then tip, no more than 10%.

Hopefully that answered your question ...

14 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

This is a bit tricky  ..... up until 10 years ago you would never tip in FP,  in fact many would consider it rude. However, the younger generation in FP has been 'westernized' and many now expect tips. 

I would re-phrase that to 'Americanised.'