connecting balconies on Star Princess

RedE2Go64

We want to get a room on Caribe deck next to brother in law, and open up the balconies between each other. Is it just a small door way on the balcony that is open, or does it really open up between the two balconies? The only pic I could find just made it look like just a small slat was removed, allowing us to walk between the two balconies, but not really be able to feel like we can all sit out on the same balcony.

38 minutes ago, RedE2Go64 said:

We want to get a room on Caribe deck next to brother in law, and open up the balconies between each other. Is it just a small door way on the balcony that is open, or does it really open up between the two balconies? The only pic I could find just made it look like just a small slat was removed, allowing us to walk between the two balconies, but not really be able to feel like we can all sit out on the same balcony.

I have never done this on the star but others have and are doing something similar on the Grand this June.  It is simply a door that is held back against one side of the divider.  The entire divider is not removed to make 1 big balcony so you will still have the divider from the railing towards the ship and just the man-size door that opens between the ship and the divider.  I have seen some post here to bring bungee cords to help hold back the door tighter as it can bang and rattle. 

• Like 1

We do this all the time, it's basically a walk-through to the other balcony. You can still share balconies. Just make sure that the two cabins you book don't have a fire door between them since those balconies can't be connected (because there is a firewall between them). You will see a small black arrow between cabins, and it's usually where the cabin numbers change (from the 400's to 500's, for example). 

Just off the Star last month and opened up the balcony door on Caribe deck between cabins C231 and C227. It was a door with a latch hook and eye set up. Worked fine, and we left open the entire trip with no problem.
We brought the bungee cords, because they worked so well when we did this on the Coral. On the extended Balconies of the Caribe deck, the bungee cords did not work. Too far to go all the way around, and the opened door did not sit flush like it did on the Coral.

Really surprised that Princess still lets people open doors between balconies. We did this on a Norwegian ship a couple of years ago and I got reprimanded by the crew for doing so..... said it was because of fire regulations.

3 minutes ago, Lawdog0199 said:

Really surprised that Princess still lets people open doors between balconies. We did this on a Norwegian ship a couple of years ago and I got reprimanded by the crew for doing so..... said it was because of fire regulations.

People don't open the doors. Stewart has a special key to unlock them.

What you posted does not apply on Princess as the partitions are open for passengers all the time.

Ok. We have been on a few Princess cruises but never with someone we know next door to us so we never asked about opening a balcony divider door... so sorry my reply does not apply.... just relating a related experience on a different cruise line.