Celebrity Private Caribbean Island

SunNFunCruzer

I understand that Celebrity is owned by RCCL.

Royal Caribbean seems to have two private islands: Labadee and Coco Cay

IF and that's a BIG IF,  a Celebrity Caribbean cruise were denied port calls for any of the reasons mentioned in the threads below, could the ship go to either Labadee or CoCo Cay for a few days?  Would it ever be possible for two ships to call on and tender in to either of these islands at the same time?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2730905-diamond-princess-passenger-tested-positive-for-wuhan-coronavirus

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2734049-coronavirus-could-it-be-an-issue-for-my-caribbean-cruise

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2732148-caribbean-princess-22-sailing-gastrointestinal-virus/page/5/

I am just wondering if, since the parent corporation owns them, and they, I believe are often worked by supplemental staff that also tenders over (some locals and some from the ship), would this be an option to save a Caribbean cruise in the worst case?  Has anyone ever been on a ship when one of these islands has been substituted?  Could a ship stay at either island for 2-3 days straight? (going out to sea at sundown and returning at sunrise?)   Thanks for sharing your opinions and expertise!

Coco Cay is an island that if memory serves in actually in the Bahamas, so it's subject to Bahamian sovereignty, just as, for instance, Port Everglades is subject to US sovereignty. So "ownership" wouldn't trump national sovereignty. 

Labadee is more of a peninsula, if even that, of Haiti, so again, Haitian law would rule over ownership (which may well be long term lease; don't really know) of the land in the situations described. Which are, as has been pointed out in other threads, currently completely hypothetical and conjecture as it applies to Covid-19, maybe less so with a noro or noro-like virus.

If there's an issue with a national authority not wanting to allow a ship in port, there would still be national authorities in both cases.

As far as two ships at the same time, I believe that's possible at Labadee, although it would be really busy depending on the size of the ship. Don't know about Coco Cay.

CocoCay and Labadee are both leased (rather than owned) by Royal Caribbean from their respective countries, The Bahamas and Haiti. Labadee is equipped with a pier, which means visiting ships can dock right at the island. CocoCay, once a tender port, debuted a pier in 2019 so that more ships would be able to dock.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2273

Any related decision would fall to the Bahamas and Haiti.

12 minutes ago, markeb said:

Coco Cay is an island that if memory serves in actually in the Bahamas, so it's subject to Bahamian sovereignty, just as, for instance, Port Everglades is subject to US sovereignty. So "ownership" wouldn't trump national sovereignty. 

Labadee is more of a peninsula, if even that, of Haiti, so again, Haitian law would rule over ownership (which may well be long term lease; don't really know) of the land in the situations described.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

CocoCay and Labadee are both leased (rather than owned) by Royal Caribbean from their respective countries, The Bahamas and Haiti.

Thank you both.  Great information and explains exactly why my idea would not work.  I did think it was a good one though, if I do say so myself!  Lol!!!