Ocean or Lagoon Villa

maryisme

Hi -

I reserved an Ocean View Villa for our day at Great Stirrup Cay. I have a bad knee and find going up hill difficult especially in the sand. I see that the Lagoon Villa is now available. Is one preferable over the other in terms of distance and ease of accessing the beach?  Thanks so much.

Mary

I’ve been in both. The trip from the ocean villa to the water was very steep and pretty rocky  this past June. The villas had just opened, so hopefully this has been fixed since then (at least the rocks). We were in a lagoon villa in December and the trip to the water was less steep and rocky, but it was definitely not flat. The ocean villas are going to be closer to the buffet, for the most part, but all are along a cement path.

15 hours ago, maryisme said:

Hi -

I reserved an Ocean View Villa for our day at Great Stirrup Cay. I have a bad knee and find going up hill difficult especially in the sand. I see that the Lagoon Villa is now available. Is one preferable over the other in terms of distance and ease of accessing the beach?  Thanks so much.

Mary

I don't know when your cruise is, but I will be on GSC in about 10 days (fingers crossed). We had booked a Large Cabana, but I received an email from NCL the other day that they had upgraded us to a Lagoon Villa (at no charge). We actually wanted a Large Cabana, as we have no interest in AC, a flat screen TV and movies ...but it's a done deal so we will go with the flow. What the heck, right?? And I can give you updated info on this then.

2 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I’ve been in both. The trip from the ocean villa to the water was very steep and pretty rocky  this past June. The villas had just opened, so hopefully this has been fixed since then (at least the rocks). We were in a lagoon villa in December and the trip to the water was less steep and rocky, but it was definitely not flat. The ocean villas are going to be closer to the buffet, for the most part, but all are along a cement path.

Thanks for sharing your experience. That is the sense I got from the videos I found. Thanks for confirming. 

2 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

I don't know when your cruise is, but I will be on GSC in about 10 days (fingers crossed). We had booked a Large Cabana, but I received an email from NCL the other day that they had upgraded us to a Lagoon Villa (at no charge). We actually wanted a Large Cabana, as we have no interest in AC, a flat screen TV and movies ...but it's a done deal so we will go with the flow. What the heck, right?? And I can give you updated info on this then.

We cruise on March 15. You can’t beat free!!! Have a great cruise. I look forward to feedback. 

• 7 months later...
On 2/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, Greenpea2 said:

Hi Greenpea,

It's been a couple months but am wondering if you ever made it to Great Stirrup Cay and your cabana? Our cruise was scheduled for March but was cancelled 😞. We rescheduled for March 2021 - who knows if we even make it but am wondering about your cabana experience.

Thank you!

Mary

Edited by maryisme

3 minutes ago, maryisme said:

Hi Greenpea,

It's been a couple months but am wondering if you ever made it to Great Stirrup Cay and your cabana? Our cruise was scheduled for March but was cancelled 😞. We rescheduled for March 2021 - who knows if we even make it but am wondering about your cabana experience.

Thank you!

Mary

Yes, we did make it. There was only one more cruise that went out after us before the shut-down. The cabana experience was unreal. The best day of the cruise. I posted a review of the cruise and there are lots of pictures of the cabana in it. I will look for the link. Here it is--hope it works:

32 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Yes, we did make it. There was only one more cruise that went out after us before the shut-down. The cabana experience was unreal. The best day of the cruise. I posted a review of the cruise and there are lots of pictures of the cabana in it. I will look for the link. Here it is--hope it works:

So glad you made it! We were supposed to sail March 15 (or 14) and we were the first cruise cancelled. Heading over to your review now! Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

Great review and pictures! Thanks so much! Did you find the walk to the beach very steep from the lagoon villa? I have a bad knee and am wondering if i should go with the lagoon or ocean villa. Appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Best,

Mary

19 minutes ago, maryisme said:

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I had actually forgotten all about this review and I ended up reading the whole thing, grinning, and wishing I was back onboard! 

Re your question, though, I was never aware of any steepness--I have a slightly weakened right ankle that I am careful of since I am an avid early morning walker (I have torn a ligament twice) so I would have been aware if it was steep. It was a gentle downhill slope. Go for it!

Thanks again!  That review most definitely elicits grins and giggles. You and you sister made wonderful memories ❤️ .

I went ahead with the Lagoon Villa. WTH. Hopefully we make it there. 

Stay safe and thanks again. 

Mary